Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 AM
aries4155
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far it seems like the only change was the plugs BUT that doesn't sound like that would give me my initial problems, engine check light and loss of power.

The only other possibility was something I read about turning the ignition OFF and ON four times to reset TBW and while I was checking codes I probably turned it off and on more than 4 times. BUT I can't say for sure.

I will give the techs the six codes and see what they say.
Will verify that fuel canister recall was done also.
Will ask about TBW, inductor module and other suggestions I was given or things I read while searching past posts.

At least I'm armed with some info versus just symptons.
I haven't talked with service for awhile so I'll see how it goes.

The fact I am accumulating more than average mileage, I'm starting to wonder what I need to be aware of to keep the wheels turning in the future. What typically needs attention as the miles add up.
Just wondering because up to this point I haven't had any worries, just blissful riding.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

Well I really didn't think the plugs were the issue.
I made the 64 miles to work this morning with no problems.
Unfortunately I can't say the same for the ride home.
Once I got off the highway my engine check light came back ON.
Pulled into a gas station, looked at the codes P1511 and P2135.
I was able to clear them both and I was off again, about 15 miles and again about 5 miles from home and the light was back ON.
This time I had P1511, P2135 and P2176 which is new.
I wasn't able to clear the codes this time and had to limp home AGAIN.

What sucks is that I no longer have the freedom I had before of just enjoying the ride without worrying when the bike is going to act up again.
Looks like I'm missing work in the morning in hopes of getting my bike repaired BUT will I, without any hassles.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,174 Likes on 1,814 Posts

They'll replace the TBW and/or sensor and you'll be up and running again.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aries4155
What sucks is that I no longer have the freedom I had before of just enjoying the ride without worrying when the bike is going to act up again.
Looks like I'm missing work in the morning in hopes of getting my bike repaired BUT will I, without any hassles.
I feel your pain, I have been through this several times with my 08. I have 39,000 miles on it. Every time I was a loooong way from home. I hope the last repairs were the last ones.

I would leave codes alone and get it repaired. If codes are not in history they won't be able to see what was wrong.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Originally Posted by aries4155

I'll see how my commute goes tomorrow.
Good Luck

Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 AM
aries4155
Cruiser

Well I pretty much limped to the dealer this morning.
Got about 4 miles when the check engine came ON and everytime I reset codes I got about 20 feet. Luckily Rt 4 to Concord has a wide breakdown lane.

The sad part is I may not get my bike back until hopefully Sat.
They said they have to get permission from Harley before they can even work on it. They need permission to order the part or parts which will then take a couple of days to be delivered. None of this really makes sense to me, this is under warranty and you would think they would have at least one in stock. But I guess considering the economy you have to cut back on inventory. He did say they have had a couple of bikes with the same issue so they have done this already, which is a good thing I guess. So hoping I have my bike back before Sat but I guess I just have to accept whatever happens.

But the kicker is, they had one of the techs give me a ride home which was cool since I'm about 18 miles from there.
Got my car,(haven't even started it in weeks) headed to work called my boss said I'd be there in about a hour. Just hung up and within minutes I lost my brakes and had to abandoned that idea. Called my boss and said well I guess I won't be in afterall. Hottest day of the year to date and I'm playing mechanic on my car. Trying to stay positive because no matter what's going on with me, I ALWAYS remind myself there are alot of people with much bigger problems than I have. At least I have commute.

Everyone Have A Great Day, Stay Safe and thanks for all the Info.
Will let you know the outcome.

dawg thanks again for everything, from the idea to paint my inner fairing, and how to get the codes and the codes themselves. You definitely know your stuff.
I'm slowly learning with help of people like you on this forum. So THANK YOU !!!

Last edited by aries4155; 08-18-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sorry for all the troubles that you have gone thru with your 08. BUT, if I were to expeince the same issues or similar after all the $$$ I have spent on my 08 UC I will sell it and never againg own this product. My fault for not being american product minded ?. I do not think so, it is Harley's fault. I am an engineer and building a reliable product is not that difficult. What would I buy then?, well we all know the answer.....I just , out of respect will not mention the forbidden name in this forum.... Lets see, a reliable touring bike that never brakes down and with very cheap and almost none maintenace. What could it be :=)

But for now I am keeping my pretty and nice sounding tractor. I hope it last

Old 08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
I am sorry for all the troubles that you have gone thru with your 08. BUT, if I were to expeince the same issues or similar after all the $$$ I have spent on my 08 UC I will sell it and never againg own this product. My fault for not being american product minded ?. I do not think so, it is Harley's fault. I am an engineer and building a reliable product is not that difficult. What would I buy then?, well we all know the answer.....I just , out of respect will not mention the forbidden name in this forum.... Lets see, a reliable touring bike that never brakes down and with very cheap and almost none maintenace. What could it be :=)

But for now I am keeping my pretty and nice sounding tractor. I hope it last

Sounds like this is the 1st problem he's had in over 37k miles and the dealer is getting it fixed under warranty.
Selling it and never buying another H-D product sounds a bit extreme doesn't it?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

c50plus I appreciate the sentiment but as piasspj has said this is the first time I have had an issue that prevents me from enjoying my ride. Unfortunately it's come when the temps are in the 90s and it sounds like it will be a few days hopefully before I'm riding again.
What concerns me is what if I was on a road trip and this happened? Would I be dead in the water for days (possibly 4 or 5 or more) waiting for the process of getting permission before you can change a part or parts. I work in the service dept for Infared systems used by State police and the military, if a system is sent in and it's under warranty we fix it with no questions asked.
Is this Harley's status quo and they need to be contacted on all warranty repairs or just what the dealer is telling me how they handle warranty repairs. Doesn't sound right to me.
C50plus so being an engineer, are you saying all NEW products NEVER have a flaw, that a better option is never discovered after the product is released?
I do not think my Harley is unreliable, I average roughly 3000 miles a month during the riding season, last year it happened to be exactly 8 months (April 6th to Dec 6th) and I logged 24,003 miles. This is my 1st Harley but my 6th bike, my last bike I put 89,000 plus troublefree miles on a V65 Magna. Up to this point I have no complaints and I have a one of a kind Ultra that I am proud to ride.

Attached Thumbnails HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra-awesome-fairing-005.jpg   HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra-4-24-2009-close-up-in-drive-way.jpg   HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra-002.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

So after all this I got a call from the service dept, I can pick my bike up in the morning.
They found a broken wire in the cable that plugs into the induction module.

I did sort of speed up the whole process somewhat by e-mailing the owner and asking her if this was the normal procedure of having to get permission to order parts.
I asked what if I was on a roadtrip would I be stranded while this whole process took its course.
I also said I worked in service repairing and servicing Infrared systems and our policy is when a warranty item comes in, that takes priority.
Normally I would let things take their course but I guess I made an exception this time.
I also said, I guess I was taking my bike for granted because I'm missing my daily.
I did start by saying I hope I'm not steeping on toes here but I have a question about my bike that I brought into service.
So hopefully I didn't just become one of those guys, in the eyes of the techs, that e-mails the owner when things don't go right.
BUT I am looking forward to tomorrow. You know what they say, you don't miss something until its not there.
Got lucky it was only a few days of problems, and I learned more about my bike and the inner workings of Harley Davidson.

Last edited by aries4155; 08-19-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra