Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried that, I left the factory trim ring real loose, but it made the whole thing loose....I just came back from messing with it, still got a gap.....

Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
I tried that, I left the factory trim ring real loose, but it made the whole thing loose....I just came back from messing with it, still got a gap.....
Dude I feel your pain, I jacked with mine endlessly before finally being satisfied with it. I didnt leave the original ring "real loose", just backed it off about a full turn. I know its frustrating but just keep fooling with it, you'll find the right combination.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:53 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another trick is people were using weather stripping and putting it on the inside of the new trim ring.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a 1/4 inch gap on mine after several attempts to remove it. What I did is: every time I washed the bike I tightened it some. Then finally it closed the gap. I did not have to force it at all. The screw would be slightly lose as where it would tightened a little at a time.
Since then I have had to remove it for painting reasons and it went on easy and no gap.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brettnbama

I hear ya dude. I was so mad to find out that sometimes they just fit that way. That wasn't an answer I was happy to hear. The gap looks like crap. I know this option sounds crazy but it works and looks GREAT. I plan on keeping the visor so I didn't mind "modifying" the flange.

I tried to search again for the thread I found. It was from about 3 years ago. The guy put pictures up where you can remove the OEM ring. Then you bend the outer flange with pliers. Make a bend at the top, sides and bottom to start with. That gives the new cover something to hold on to. Last, tighten the screw and you will love it. Not only that you won't mind removing it you need to. My thought was "I am going to need to remove this for something (who knows what)".

Old 08-16-2009, 04:32 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

I would need to see pics of that, Are any of you guys putting any kind of wrench to the nut on there? That is part of the problem, I get it to the point that it is so tight, the nut spins too. I wish they would just make one that replaces the stock ring. Don't the ones for the driving lights replace the stock rings?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:52 PM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Like the rims, waiting for mine to turn up, also like the chrome spoke wheels, where did you get them from?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bellgnte
Looks very cool. I like those rings so much I was determined they were going on mine also.

This is funny. I just went through the same darn project 2 days ago. I ended up finding a thread on here that said to remove the original and make small bends in the outer headlight flange. It was great advice as it went on very easy. Easy enough that I removed it just to show show someone how I did it. Could have been much better designed.

I didn't get the ones for the rear blinkers.....good idea!
That had to be one of my fix-it posts......Yep, all you do is toss the old ring in the trash, bend the remaining head light bucket flange outwards in several places and install new visor ring....no gaps, no rattles...takes ten minutes if you are slow.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehunter
Like the rims, waiting for mine to turn up, also like the chrome spoke wheels, where did you get them from?
The wheels are Harley 9 spoke chrome, available at most dealers.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oinker02
That had to be one of my fix-it posts......Yep, all you do is toss the old ring in the trash, bend the remaining head light bucket flange outwards in several places and install new visor ring....no gaps, no rattles...takes ten minutes if you are slow.
I don't guess you have any pics of this do you? I know, I know.....it sounds easy, but believe me if it can be fu^&ed up, I can f*&k it up....

Quick Reply: Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!