Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG 1
Had a time with mine too. Just kept fooling with it and finally got it right.
Looks sharp Dude, great looking scoot.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
This is the key.
My first attempt I followed instructions
But mine went on alright after reading a few of the twenty threads in the past two years on here
Master Chief, you must be a Radioman. I'm a lowly Senior Chief Machinist Mate. Me and nuts n bolts, n hot greasy stuff have an affinity for each other. LOL!

Us Machinist Mates learned long ago to never read the intructions because they are always written by idiots. We simply place our hands on the broken part and it tells us how to stroke it.

Ride safe shipmate

Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 PM
usaborn_01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, glad I decided to do a search and read through the threads about the trim rings. I attempted the headlight trim ring on my Ultra a while back and couldn't get a good fit, almost bought another one but held out til I got the other rings to complete the set. Just got them today and will, if the trim ring gods allow it, have the spots, turn signals, and headlight looking frenchy tomorrow :-) Can't let a simple piece of metal beat me.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:29 AM
minordl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Must be a model thing. Did the same projet this weekend while watching it rain outside. Instructions said to center ring and it popped into place with no problem and tightened up. Looks great. Didn't think about rear lites, good idea.
Be safe!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

I guess I got lucky. I added the banner visors on my headlight, side lights and just recently the front turn signals. No problem.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Navychief
Road Warrior

I tried to use the instructions, but they were more or less useless. I ended up placing a small washer behind each of the torx screws that holds the inner flange on, giving me a small gap behind it. New ring went on easily and it draws together tight on the bottom, BUT I still have a small gap on the left side of the headlight.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i bought the headlight trim ring to use on my streetglide. went to install it, and what a pain in the a$$. i decided to instead, tig weld the visor to my original ring, and mill out the recesses properly, that way the entire thing is one piece and mounts like the stock headlight ring. it'll require rechroming the whole setup, but the factory came up with a real cheezeball approach to the mounting of the headlight visor, in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut the stock ring and removed about 1/4 " of metal then tig welded the stock ring back together (sure it would work even if you don't weld the stock ring) and now my after market ring fits perfectly.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

There is another solution to the the headlight trim ring problem that is very, very simple and doesn't involve welding, washers, or removing the stock trim ring and bending the flange. Costs about a quarter.

The problem with the trim ring isn't the ring itself but the bolt used to tightened the ring. The head is too small.

I went to a good hardware store and replaced the cheap tightening bolt that comes with the ring with a standard size bolt that threads to the stock nut. No washers needed and with the larger head on a standard stainless steel screw, I was able to snug up the gap very nicely. Most of you have probably already fouled up the driving slots on the bolt anyways (as I did) so you might as well just take it off and get a nice replacement stainless bolt with the same threads and abit longer if you want.

You won't be disappointed in this very simple solution to make your trim ring look like it should. Here's some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!-sany0151.jpg   Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!-sany0152.jpg   Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!-sany0153.jpg   Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!-sany0159.jpg   Finally got the visor's on...What a BITCH!!-sany0160.jpg