Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets Required In Ohio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamte
My son lives in Ohio. If over 18 yrs of age, no helmet is required. But, if you wear no helmet you must wear eye protection (glasses, sunglasses, etc.). That is what he tells me.
Eye protection is required only if you do not have a wind screen.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=OH

Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
In my state (WA) DOT helmets are required but a $1.50 sticker will virtually make any helmet DOT. Around here the LEO's pretty much leave you alone as long as you have something on your head.
I almost exclusively wear a "novelty" helmet although I own six others from fullface to half - DOT to SNELL. I prefer it and I accept any and all risks by doing so. I've worn it many times in states that have no helmet requirement for reasons usually related to weather (seems so obvious).
I must admit I'm a little aggravated with the **** tone of some of the questions posted. Fill in the blank? The novelty doesn't make sense? Sheesh...c'mon guys, get over yourselves.
Agreed. "Get over yourselves". Maybe a novelty helmet doesn't do much good, but I ride more confidently with something on my head. I don't think I ride differently, just more confidently. Guess I might as well ride without a helmet, but I feel better with something on. Besides, some of the novelty helmets look kinda cool! It'll be a cold day before I worry about what somebody on a forum thinks of me!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Some of your guys are a little bit sensitive about your novelty helmets...........

I too was curious why anyone would wear one in a helmet free state. We did get a few answers here. I very seldom wear a helmet, unless I am in a state that requires me to. I do however like to wear something to keep the sun off my forehead and my hair is too thin to prevent a sunburn on my head.

I wear a ball cap or a leather skull cap or something most of the time just to prevent wind and sunburns. I suppose the novelty helmet would probably serve the same purpose.

Dennis

Old 08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to go to ohio and indiana just to ride with out my helmet then I had the big crash 12k damage here in michigan where helmets are required and when i came off the bike i hit helmet first then my elbow and back. I slid for who knows how long and my wife was doing the same thing on the other side of the scoot.. We both got up and walked away (me walking to the ambulance) and our helmets were junk . Dot approved H/D 3/4 helmets . Ill never ride without one again and ill never argue about your rights in a state that doesnt require them.. Just remember the next time you see someone in a wheel chair with brain damage.. (I was at the U of M hospital yesterday) .. Helmets do work..

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

When I was a neurosurgery resident, I had two MC accident patients on my service at the same time once. One had a helmet on and one did not. Neither did very well. The one with the helmet will never be able to feed himself, which is a shame because as a 20 year old man, he will live a long time. The one not wearing a helmet might be feeding himself today, I don't know. Small chance, I suppose. He could open his eyes by himself, so that's a great success in neurosurgery. I don't do that work anymore.

Not riding like an idiot will protect you a whole lot more than a helmet.

Anyway, I remember the "dot" stickers. Really funny and quite popular at the aftermarket shop I used to hang out at when Texas had a helmet law. Amazing what one could do with a laser printer and sticker stock back before everyone had one.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

DOT sticker don't mean chit. All they do is write down the model number on the tag on the inside of the helmet and check it against a data base. No info instantly indicates a novelty helmet. All DOT helmets will have an acceptance stamp or similar on the inside and is easy to track right in the car or computer system.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
PacBlue_07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choice??? Isnt that the same reason we CHOOSE to ride?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
In my state (WA) DOT helmets are required but a $1.50 sticker will virtually make any helmet DOT. Around here the LEO's pretty much leave you alone as long as you have something on your head.
I almost exclusively wear a "novelty" helmet although I own six others from fullface to half - DOT to SNELL. I prefer it and I accept any and all risks by doing so. I've worn it many times in states that have no helmet requirement for reasons usually related to weather (seems so obvious).
I must admit I'm a little aggravated with the **** tone of some of the questions posted. Fill in the blank? The novelty doesn't make sense? Sheesh...c'mon guys, get over yourselves.
The question was why wear a novelty in states that do not require a helmet at all. If that offends you I think you need to get over yourself. Talk about ****.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No need for helmet in Ohio or PA

There is no need for a helmet in ohio so you can wear anything you want. You must have eyecover unless you have a windshield. I would still have glasses no matter what since being hit directly in the eye by anything at 60MPH would not be a fun thing. Just get a nice carbon fiber or other light weight Dot approved helmet and wear it. That way your covered no matter what state you go through and it just might save your life as well someday.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
I used to go to ohio and indiana just to ride with out my helmet then I had the big crash 12k damage here in michigan where helmets are required and when i came off the bike i hit helmet first then my elbow and back. I slid for who knows how long and my wife was doing the same thing on the other side of the scoot.. We both got up and walked away (me walking to the ambulance) and our helmets were junk . Dot approved H/D 3/4 helmets . Ill never ride without one again and ill never argue about your rights in a state that doesnt require them.. Just remember the next time you see someone in a wheel chair with brain damage.. (I was at the U of M hospital yesterday) .. Helmets do work..
When I first started riding a few years ago, I wore a 1/2 DOT helmet, exclusively. Then I saw some novelty helmets that looked kinda cool, so I bought one. n8dc, this is probably a good reason to give up the novelty helmet ---- especially around town & intersections, at slower speeds, where it might actually do me some good. At 70 mph it might not matter anyway, but ........... Thanks, and glad you walked away.

Quick Reply: Helmets Required In Ohio?