Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys Nickel and Dime Bull$h!t

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nickel and Diming

HD really found their marketing concept, lock the customers to our parts and keep all pricing the same at every shop. I can't figure out why this isn't price fixing?

99% of dealers show the exact same price on any given product. Unless you find a clearence item, I don't think you can find new stock items less than a penny apart from one end of the country to the other.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I was upfront with my dealer when he asked why I never buy motor clothes....

I said when you get something in here that is made in the USA, I'll take a look at it, but 40.00 for a vietnamese or honduran T-Shirt....FORGET IT>......If you want "Made In USA" prices, then I want MADE IN USA products.......

80.00 for the plastic heat sheilds for my 08??????? you have to be joking....thats like 1.00 in plastic.... and HD realized they were needed and installed them on 09's at the factory..... HD you owe me a set for this F'n *** cooker you call a motor....my 04 was no way this hot....

Here is a tip.... if you want chrome switch housings, dont pay the 160.00 for HD's....get the EXACT same set from Kuryakin for 60.00..... kuryakin makes then for HD.,......

Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Big L
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 162 Likes on 129 Posts

I like to order on line (ebay, chicago H-D, H-D Forum) and the likes because the Post man brings other stuff than my bills!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by teqsand
I was upfront with my dealer when he asked why I never buy motor clothes....

I said when you get something in here that is made in the USA, I'll take a look at it, but 40.00 for a vietnamese or honduran T-Shirt....FORGET IT>......If you want "Made In USA" prices, then I want MADE IN USA
products.......
I just pulled the top 8 shirts off my pile of 40 HD T-shirts and everyone of them said "Made in the U.S.A."

Here is a tip.... if you want chrome switch housings, dont pay the 160.00 for HD's....get the EXACT same set from Kuryakin for 60.00..... kuryakin makes then for HD.,......

Then come here and bitch when a year later the chrome peels off those Kury housings and you still pay $160 for the HDs.

Not defending their prices, just stating my observations.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Not defending their prices, just stating my observations.
Oh I have made in USA shirts, my daughter sent me 1 from bagdad and one from Oman, both made in USA.... but NONE of the clothing in my dealer is made in the USA....

As for the chrome housing, whey would the chrome peal? Kuriaken makes them for HD so how are they different other than price? mine have been on for 23 months now....

Old 08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait till you look into buying a tour pack for that SG. Everything is seperate. Tour pack,back rest,hardware that mounts on the tour pack,hardware that mounts on the bike,the locks,the anteanna relocater kit,the anteanna wire,it would have cost me approxamatly $1,500 for the whole lot,and I did not even get the one with the lights. I got the pat numbers,called Zanotti's and I paid about $1,200 so the avings of $300. I keep my ear to the ground and I do alot of online research beofore I ever buy some goodies for my bike.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fladawg01
HD really found their marketing concept, lock the customers to our parts and keep all pricing the same at every shop.
+1 You gotta admit, the MOCO has got their thing down.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I got that beat.

Spent close to $2000 to add an "ultra King" tour pack to my bike to include the detachable bracket, 4-point docking kit, chrome dress up rail and L.E.D. Spoiler. And after it arrived and I installed it I found I was missing the two nickel sized rubber grommets that push into the front of the tour pack and hold the wiring harness as it passes through. Yup! Seperate items! Ya think they could have included the grommets in with the tour pack hardware?? Nope! It wasn't the small cost of approximately $3 but the necessary trip of 20 miles back to the Dealer that irked me.... (Then another 20 miles to pick them up when they came in).

(Bought all from Zanottis but the grommets I bought from the Stealer)

Last edited by RODEO; 08-16-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM
ken b
Road Captain

Thanks for the posts. Yep I was looking at hte King Tour Pack and cringing at all the **** I would have to get. Thanks for the info on the other places to buy from. I will be looking them up.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

It's not like most of us didn't know any of this going in. The alternative is not better. There is not near the selection of aftermarket parts for the metrics. You gotta pay to play.

Reminds me of when I used to be in the tire business back in the late seventies. We would get these guys driving Corvettes come in to buy tires and would cry like a baby when they found out that only Goodyear made the tires for their car and back then they were about a buck and a half per tire as opposed to about $50 for a good radial tire for any other car. T.

Quick Reply: Harleys Nickel and Dime Bull$h!t