Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra vs SE Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ultra vs SE Ultra

I just took my bosses 06 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic for a spin. I was not at all impressed with the power or low end torque. However, as I recall my 05 Ultra was a bit of a dog until I got to the 5K service. My stock 88 with the SEAC 2-1 and SERT seems a bit more responsive and possible just as quick overall.

The biggest difference I noticed was in handling. The SE had more of a sport bike feel. At first I thought it was lighter. But I check the specs andd find just the opposite. The SE is 845 lbs while my Ultra is 788 lbs. I do have a true-track on my Ultra and am a bit more stable above 85 MPH and certainly I'm more stable in high speed corners.

The Hydraulic clutch is awesome and now a must have.

The shorter windshield is something I did not like at speed. Would be great cruising daytona!

Overall I do not think the Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic is anywhere near worth the $12K premium. But that said, it certainly is a sweet ride!

Just curious about the handling difference. Can anyone give me a clue as to why I feel the 06 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic handles more like a sport bike than my 05 Ultra Classic?

Old 06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultra vs SE Ultra

Profile rear shocks, 05' to 06' fork internals are different and.....less chrome trim..... so more aerodynamic, like a Street Glide. CVO's are sweet! How's the 160W stereo set-up?

Old 06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain

Had XM tuned in and I did not want to mess with it. However, I cranked up the volume and it was impressive.

I can't get that sport bike feel out of my head. The specs on the Rake Steering Head/Trail are the same. Maybe I need to rent an 06 and see if there's a difference. Don't think I could justify the additional cost for an SE. But I may think about it if the difference is in the handling.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have the SE Ultra, I do have a Jims SE103 and six speed box. 110 hp/103 ftlbs torq. in an 03 FLHTC/I. I am impressed with the torq off idle. When you can pull and carry the front wheel in the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts, that's impressive. The CVO SE Ultra needs to be dyno tuned. HD from the factory is conservitive in the ECM setup and also the cams. Dyno'ed it should provide 100/100 for HP/torq.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may have no bairing(sp?), but my father and I have the exact same bikes, softail heritage 06's. His and mine handle completely different due to the fact I have 4 inche risers and he has longer pullback bars.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:05 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain

This SE has a little ove 800 miles. I recall a big difference after the 5K service. He wants to change the pipes and put a SERT on it. If he can find a decent tuner I would think there will be significant improvement. I also think he should put a few more mile on before making any changes.

What's the advantage of the 6 speed? Unless 6 is greater than the 3.150 wouldn't it just be more footwork to get there?

Old 06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

IT IS LOWER AND SLIGHTLY HEAVIER.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:22 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever try to shift into that imaginary extra gear on the highway, that's the advantage of a sixer! I know I would like one. Imagine that 103 with pipes and a decent tune. Hey Bob, did the CVO really handle that much different that your ULT, how sure are you?

Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain

I just checked the specs and see the 6th is 2.96 as opposed to 3.15 not a big difference but I know what you mean about looking for that extra one!

As for the CVO handling. It was the first thing I noticed. Just seemed to feel lighter and easier to manuver. When I pulled to a stop and put my foot out, it felt like a 10spd bicycle, effortless balance. With my UC I can feel the weight and seems bulkier. Yet when I look as the spec sheet the CVO is the same wheelbase, height and all ecept that the CVO is 57 lbs heavier. Must have a lower center of gravity due to the 103 engine as all else is the same. At least on the spec sheets.

Hate the low windshield. Riding w/o helmet at 100+ is not pleasant. My boss said the wind comes under the face shield for him. We're both 6'4". He's going to get a std size smoke windshield soon. Also wants true duals but hasn't decided on the brand.
ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Ever try to shift into that imaginary extra gear on the highway, that's the advantage of a sixer! I know I would like one. Imagine that 103 with pipes and a decent tune. Hey Bob, did the CVO really handle that much different that your ULT, how sure are you?

Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting post...would have never thought there would have been much difference... The front forks, rear shocks, and more power, which would be a big difference, but to feel different at a stop sign????

Quick Reply: Ultra vs SE Ultra