Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penske Shocks from Motorcycle Metal on 2009 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks for the link.

Dennis

Old 08-14-2009, 12:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by madden23
do not buy 440's, you will be much happier if you buy shocks that are sprung for your weight and riding style,i.e works, YSS, Ohlins, Penske. You can buy very good shocks for 600.00+ or very crappy ones for +/-500.00.
I disagree that 440's are "crappy shocks," as I've had the 12½" versions with standard springs on my SG for two years. They aren't perfect, granted, but are several tiers above the stock 12" shocks that came on the bike, and for $300 they were money well-spent for my needs. You can tailor them to your weight and riding style with the preload adjustment, which is infinite within its considerable range, although it took me some trial and error to find the sweet spot. They don't have rebound control, which has not been a problem for me although rarely I do feel the upward bounce on certain bumps. Assuredly there are better shocks out there, but I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars more to have them. I just want a comfortable shock that I can ride all day, day-after-day on tour; handles the twisties very competently; doesn't ram my butt into my Adam's apple on hard bumps; and can be adjusted for additional weight.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO Progressives are not much better than stock, I've had them(440's) and did not like them, there are better alternatives out there for not a whole lot more money.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have been doing research for the last week or so trying to decide what upgrade to make. Keep in mind this is for my wife's comfort only. I am more than satisfied with the stock shocks.

Progressive 440's seemed to be the way to go. I found out today that the price has increased by $100. Retail price on the black is $589. You can still find them for the $480 range.

I called Howard like was suggested. Told him my deal. My weight, the wife's weight and what we usually carry. He recommended the Ohlins #2 and #3 at $517. That's what I bought. I hope it makes my wife happy because she is almost ready to quit riding if I don't find a way to make the ride more comfortable for her. But then again, she likes to bitch. I am sure she will find something else to complain about even if the ride is perfect. Then I will be wishing I spent the extra money on something that I would've liked, but what's new in the last 23 years?

Some of us just hate being single I guess, but I do like riding solo.............
I know that would've been the answer in the beginning, but I guess I just don't know when to quit.

Dennis

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
hawg03
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohlins on my 09 FLTR and love them (Thx Howard)!!! Had 440s but for my weight they were much too stiff. My .02...

Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 AM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a lot of people putting down the 440's lately! I've had them for about 3 years on my Road King and I couldn't be happier. And they are much better than stock!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I have been following the many threads on shocks for some while now on HDF. Along with my own experience, it seems when riding solo a touring model meets most rider's requirements almost regardless of what shocks are on the bike! When my original shocks showed signs of getting out of condition I fitted Fournales air shocks, which are better both solo and 2-up, but far from perfect 2-up.

The real test is when riding two up, especially if the passenger is the love of your life. The rider sits well forward of the rear wheel, so bumps and pot-holes do not have the same affect as on the poor passenger, who is directly over the wheel. Having an intercom makes the ride up front less comfortable, but in a different way!

So I reckon this debate passes by most solo riders, who it seems can fit pretty well any brand that takes their fancy. They are unlikely to be disappointed, although careful choice will undoubtedly give them a superior ride.

My 'old lady' rides a treat solo, although I have done several mods to improve handling. When my wife and I go on tour, however, its ride quality takes on a very different meaning. That is when choice of a truly superior shock will have a real benefit. I have yet to make a choice, but I cannot find a better looking supplier than Motorcycle Metal!

It seems the choice is between Ohlins and Penske.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-24-2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added para.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 AM
jrhd1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Howard and I love the Ohlins...