Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taxes Taxes Taxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taxes Taxes Taxes

If I buy a bike from a dealer here in CA, the dealer collects the sales tax and sends it to DMV--

But, what if I buy a bike from a dealer in NV? Will they collect the CA sales tax--- or, not charge sales tax and I pay it when I register the bike in CA??

How does that work??

Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 PM
WALDOG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Tn and I got a Ultral in Fl. They made me pay the taxes there in Fl. A lot of states have an agreement about collecting taxes. They will get their tax money.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Well I once bought a car from another county and got charged tax from the county I registered it in. I know if you puchase it from a dealer in another state, the state you register it in will send you a bill.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Been my experience the state to register/plate in will collect the tax at that time. No tax, no plate.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

You do remember what they about death and taxes?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You better make sure that the dealer in NV is authorized to sell a CA smog-equipped bike if it's new. The dealer I bought mine from in IA can't even sell (new) CA emission equipped bikes.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
RDM
Road Master

I bought a new bike in OH and brought it back to FL. They gave me a temp tag and a bill of sale so I could ride it home. I paid the FL tax when I went to register the bike.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you purchase your MC in Nevada, the dealer should issue you a "paper" license good for up to 30 days, or they may even have the ability to collect California fees and send them to the fiscally responsible pols in Sacto.
If not, then you'll get tagged when you try to register it here in CA.
If the vehicle has not been "permanently" registered in another state before (i.e., to distinguish from a "red tag," or temporary registration) it will be registered as a NEW vehicle, with the attendant fees, etc, based on what you paid for it. If you don't provide the sales contract, they will "independently determine" the fair market value of the vehicle.
If it HAS been "permanently registered" in another state AND has the specific minimum miles on it (it used to be 1,500, but I haven't checked recently), it will be registered as a USED vehicle with the value determined by the table of values they have at the DMV.
If you purchase the vehicle on credit and "go kommando" [i.e. drive it without registration in any state] across the border, you could be in violation of your loan agreement. If you purchase the vehicle for cash, and have it insured, and "go kommando" and have an accident before you register it in CA, there is a good chance your insurance won't cover the loss as it will be regarded as an "off highway" vehicle at that point.
Finally, if you give up on CA & move to Oregon, you can register it for 2 years for $33 irrespective of value.
Aren't you glad you asked?

BTW, how do I know? I've done one or more of the above & "learned by experience." [The statute of limitations has run long since.] As Dear Abby used to say, "Experience is not the best teacher, only the most expensive."

And, if you try to cheat the tax man, you just might run into me, and that would not be a good thing.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, yeah. And I didn't even mention the smog issue. Is it a CA legal bike? There are age & mileage limits on bikes brought in out of state which can be registered here in CA.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Papa, have you shopped several dealers? If you have a Fax machine it's easy to get several quotes. Don't know what part of Ca. you are in but there are probably a few dealers within a couple hours

Quick Reply: Taxes Taxes Taxes