Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taxes Taxes Taxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't the federal 2009 state/local sales tax rebate program also include motorcycles??
Somewhere I read or heard that motorcycles were considered a "qualifing new vehicle purchase".
I let my accountant do my taxes, but for once, I'd like him to tell me I made a good purchase

Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Lots of guys in my area go across the Indiana border to buy their bikes at Wabash HD in Terra Haute, IN. We have two choices. We can pay Illinois sales tax when we buy there and get all the paperwork done for Illinois registration, or we can pay no sales tax and pay the tax to Illinois when we register it to get our liscencse plate.

I know a guy who went over there and traded his 2003 Road King for a 2007 SG. He paid no tax and took the plate off the RK and put it on the SG. He just renewed the registration on the RK the first two years and put his new sticker on the plate. He was real proud of himself. He got a new bike without paying any sales tax.

He got a letter from the Illinois Sec of State a few months ago. It stated that they were aware he had bought a new bike in Indiana and had failed to register it in his home state. He had no idea that the dealers are required to report out of state sales to the buyer's home state. His letter said he had 30 days to pay the tax or they would come confiscate his bike whether he was riding it or not. And of course, they made him apply for and pay for the correct registration.

Governments may not be perfect, but if you cheat the system long enough, you will get caught.

Dennis

Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
You better make sure that the dealer in NV is authorized to sell a CA smog-equipped bike if it's new. The dealer I bought mine from in IA can't even sell (new) CA emission equipped bikes.
wow--- good point --- didn't event think about that

Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
Didn't the federal 2009 state/local sales tax rebate program also include motorcycles??
Somewhere I read or heard that motorcycles were considered a "qualifing new vehicle purchase".
I let my accountant do my taxes, but for once, I'd like him to tell me I made a good purchase
yeah--- pretty sure sure you can deduct from your federal taxes--

just to be clear--- I am not trying to duck the tax (wish I could) don't need any trouble---

Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by papa_freeman
If I buy a bike from a dealer here in CA, the dealer collects the sales tax and sends it to DMV--

But, what if I buy a bike from a dealer in NV? Will they collect the CA sales tax--- or, not charge sales tax and I pay it when I register the bike in CA??

How does that work??
If California and Nevada have a reciprocal agreement you will have to pay the Nevada sales tax but you have pay the CA tax when you return to CA. However, the Nevada dealer will require that you show proof that you are not a Nevada resident and make you sign an avadavat attesting that you are a California resident. You will also be required to buy a Nevada “Drive-Away” permit (I think that is $25.00).

Make sure that the bike is California emission certified or you will have some real problems trying to license it in California!

It is best that you call a Nevada dealer to verify the above!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure about the smog thing with ca.... but If you contact your insurance agent and supply the vin number you are good to go on that part. If new they should supply a drive out tag, if not just keep the papers on you. You should have 48 to 72 hours to have it at the courthouse for inspection of the vin number and possibly smog.
I buy almost all my bikes out of state and bring them to Alabama. I have only been stopped once and the trooper checked my papers and that was it, oh he did tell me to get it registered quick. Your taxes should be handled in the state you live in. They may have a out of state tax which is usually rather low. Tennessee is $10 and Georgia is $15 but not all dealers charge the out of state tax.
Any trade in will be tax exempt.

Each state has they own way of doing things. I would just call the court house and ask, problem solved.

Thomas sounds to have do it a few times.

In God we Trust

dd

Last edited by dirtdobber; 08-13-2009 at 08:56 PM.