Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beach Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Beach Bars

The stock bars killed my back and shoulders. I then installed a backrest that helped, but I found myself riding one handed and at the very end of the grips as time passed on longer rides. Since the pull back seemed to be the biggest issue with me, I went with the 508's. I'm 5" 11" with a 30 inch inseam. The 508 bars do come back quite a ways, but it feels pretty comfortable to me. I don't have any problem with tight, lock-to-lock turns. I only have about 50 miles on the new bars, but so far I am liking them. I also installed a set of highway pegs and with my feet up, the 508's allow me to really set back, against my rider back rest, in a very comfortable position.

The pictures posted by wuzneme are very helpful and pretty much sum it up. It would be nice if you could try both before deciding.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:51 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Go UP not back brother. Go with Apes and youll never go back [8D]

Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Szmytty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Beach bars on my 78 and I love them. No more reaching forward, killing my lower back. I'm 6 foot and I am contemplating putting them on my Street Glide. They are a pretty good reach when I've got the wheel cocked trying to do a 180 turn in the street, or in a parking lot. If you're only 5'8" the bikini beach bars a little less of reach on those slow, sharp turns. I love my beach bars for long trips. Allows me to sit up straight or move around easily. Remember, going to these bars requires all new cables and handlebar wiring. Not Cheap! Everybody comments on the bars, saying how awesome they look. I've got 6 gallon tanks which fill the space between the beach bars nicely.

78 FLH with 93" Stroker
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 FLHXi

Old 06-02-2006, 05:33 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

I had Buffalo Bars on mine . Took them off and put stock Heritage Softail bars on. No cable modifications. Took about 15 minutes, and the stock heritage bars are $49,....much more comfortable,.....I'm 5' 7" so I know where your at.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Jimbo59
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info, and pics Folks!

Sounds like I may be a bit short for the beach bars, as I'm certainly looking for comfort (hands & wrists). Based on the input I should probably look for a different style based on my "vertically challenged self"

I went to the Wild -1 Chubby site and saw a couple of possibilities based on the way the grips appeared. The Baby Apes, and the Road Glide bars.

Based on the pics the Baby Apes appear to have the grips turned outward more so than the Road Glide Bars, and both look like an easy adjustment for tilting them back a touch.

I'll keep looking

Thanks again!

Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 PM
hstrung1
Stage II

I'm 5'8 and have 13k plus miles with the 508's on my RK. The bars are the best add on I've done.
There are many 500+ miles days in those 13k miles. Add a Sundowner seat while your at it and you'll never complain about being uncomfortable.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 PM
jwfrank@twcny.rr.com
Intermediate

I just had the RK custom bars installed on my '06 RK standard and I love them. I also have the "reach" seat. Since I am vertically challenged at 5'4" I fnow find the ride to be very comfortable. I'm very happy with the changes and I've only owned the bike for 9 days!

Now, I just have to vent a little.... I had the dealer figure in the cost of the new bars and installation when I purchased the bike. No problem not to expensive and since it was new, I'd let them do it. When I showed up to pick it up, they tell me it needed new cables and a brake hose. Still no problem. Then they add in an "extra 4 hrs labor" (on top of the original 2) for the cables, etc. Now I'm pissed. $640 for new bars when I just purchased the whole bike from them was unaccaptable. Good sales, reasonable parts, terrible service! On top of it all, the headlight ring is scratched up from a screwdriver, the headlight is not seated properly, and there is lubricant and fingerprints all over everything.

Live and learn. New ride or not, I do my own wrenching.

-- Joe