Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken screw on derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take the cover off and take it out with a pair of pliers or vice grips. You said there's no head right? The cover should come off if you can get the other screws out.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an issue you should not have to deal with but if I were you I'd be looking for a new dealer in case you have some real trouble, no offense to you, but your dealer sounds kinda wimpy.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 AM
HD101st
Tourer

Yeah i give them till sunday then i am pulling it done or not and i will get it out myself since it was under warranty i figured save a little work but this has been more headaches then what its worth i just should ahve listened to my instincts and did the job myself
now how do you prevent any shards going into crankcase do those screws come out the other side or is it juts a soild drilled hole with no other end

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Upswept
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that you were using a chinese torx bit to remove your screw. Was it from harbor freight or wal-mart or kroger's or walgreens? Get new screws, then buy American made tools from Sanp-On or Mac or Craftsman and buy one fo those impact drivers and you will never strip anything out. I have the original screws (all of them) in my '05 Road King with 30,000 miles and have never stripped any heads out. The problem is with your tools, not with the bolts. Guys will spend 20K on a bike and then buy chinese junk for their tools. Whne you get your new bolts and American tools, put a new torx bolt in a chinese bit and feel the slop. Then, put it in an American bit and feel how tight it is. Harbor freight is the biggest problem with Harley hardware.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Richpend
Tourer

Originally Posted by Upswept
My guess is that you were using a chinese torx bit to remove your screw. Was it from harbor freight or wal-mart or kroger's or walgreens? Get new screws, then buy American made tools from Sanp-On or Mac or Craftsman and buy one fo those impact drivers and you will never strip anything out. I have the original screws (all of them) in my '05 Road King with 30,000 miles and have never stripped any heads out. The problem is with your tools, not with the bolts. Guys will spend 20K on a bike and then buy chinese junk for their tools. Whne you get your new bolts and American tools, put a new torx bolt in a chinese bit and feel the slop. Then, put it in an American bit and feel how tight it is. Harbor freight is the biggest problem with Harley hardware.
+1 on that!!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD101st
Yeah i give them till sunday then i am pulling it done or not and i will get it out myself since it was under warranty i figured save a little work but this has been more headaches then what its worth i just should ahve listened to my instincts and did the job myself
now how do you prevent any shards going into crankcase do those screws come out the other side or is it juts a soild drilled hole with no other end
Its a blind hole, just stuff a clean rag in the opening while you work on it.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A left twist drill will work very well here also. Afterwards chase the threads in all of the holes and replace the screws with a dab of antisieze instead of loctite. As far as keeping shavings out of the primary, use your imagination and what you have at hand or simply remove the outer primary. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Happened on mine. Drill and ez out it then go to a hardware store and get stainless allen button heads and replace. They are 1/4 20. ou cannot hith the cluchplate due to there is a stop plate so you cannot use to long of scrrews.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:12 AM
HD101st
Tourer

I finally went and picke dit up and bought a pro grabit set took me 1 1/2 hours to prep hole and 10 sec to extract screw now i have new derby cover on all the screws are in lesson leraned you want something done right always do it yourself. Thanks for everybody's help

Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Ribitt
They are 1/4 20. ou cannot hith the cluchplate due to there is a stop plate so you cannot use to long of scrrews.
huh? english please....

if you can get the other screws out, then you should be able to turn the broken one out by hand. or at least be able to grab it with vise grips. when you put your new ones in, use some anti-seize. you don't need loc-tite on these, and torque them to spec. do not overtorque or next time you'll have this problem again.

good tools, proper procedures, will save your *** in the long run. cheap tools often end up costing more by the time you get the job finished.

Last edited by skratch; 08-16-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Broken screw on derby cover