Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fingerlakes region NY

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 AM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fingerlakes region NY

Looking for some suggestions of places to see and stay, and some nice riding roads. looking at 3-4 day in the area not too concerned with trip there and back, just enjoying the area before winter comes and need to go back to work.

Ron

Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a 5 day stay there. We absolutely love it there (being wine people). We stayed at a really nice camp ground (but if your not into camping they have cabins that look nice). www.watkinsglenkoa.com . Its close to lots of things to do. I recommend the state park they have right down town. You can hike up the gorge. Do a google search on this area and you'll find tons of things to do. If your into wine, then your going to be in heaven. Hope this helps

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
norskehd
Cruiser

I live north of the finger lakes area and enjoy rides around the lakes. Watkins Glen has quite a few hotels/motels. There is a new one on the south end of the lake in Watkins glen - a bit pricey but a great view of the lake - take an evening dinner cruise too. Geneva at the north end of the lake has quite a few hotels/motels too. Ithica is at thre south end of Keuka lake and would be a good place to stay too. Watch out for folks going in and out of the wineries on 14 and 414 (west and east side of Seneca Lake. A ride around Keuka or Cayuga lakes will be enjoyable.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally being from Rochester this is a trip I wanted to take this year from Chitown. I hope there are some good suggestions...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were there last year for a long weekend. We stayed in Corning. It was an easy ride to just about everywhere. There are some very nice roads up that way. The Corning Glass museum was more interesting than you would expect.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by norskehd
I live north of the finger lakes area and enjoy rides around the lakes. Watkins Glen has quite a few hotels/motels. There is a new one on the south end of the lake in Watkins glen - a bit pricey but a great view of the lake - take an evening dinner cruise too. Geneva at the north end of the lake has quite a few hotels/motels too. Ithica is at thre south end of Keuka lake and would be a good place to stay too. Watch out for folks going in and out of the wineries on 14 and 414 (west and east side of Seneca Lake. A ride around Keuka or Cayuga lakes will be enjoyable.
Been a few years but +1 on all accounts, also the Corning glass museum. Check the websites for info on it-really is an amazing place. Don't know if the Stueben glassworks is still doing stuff out of there also. Also do a web check on Harris Hill/Soaring if you have interst in going up in a sailplane (glider). There used to be rides available from there. Watkins Glenn is a great place, they do evening stuff there also but a daytime walk through it is the shizznit. Might want to see if there's any racing scheduled that weekend as the Watkins Glenn roadrace course is right by the glen also.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wineries are very fun to visit. Ithaca is a nice town at the end of Cayuga lake. There are many gorges there to see. If you like water I'd recommend traveling north to Lake Ontario and follow the Seaway trail along Lake Ontario up along the St. Lawrence river. You can visit the antique boat museum in Clayton, the quaint shops in Alexandria Bay, and check out the Lakers going through the Eisenhower lock in Massena. Many good restaurants along the way too.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Long as you're up there, take 14 all the way up to Sodus Point, on Lake Ontario. I live in Wellsboro PA, about 1/2 hr drive south of Corning, and a few of us ride up there for lunch once in awhile because 14s such a nice ride. You can sit on the decks of a couple of restaurants up there, and watch the boats go in & out while you're having lunch. Walk around town, there's a lighthouse up there, there are some gift shops --- kind of a touristy-type, nice little town. 14s on the west side of the lake, and although I haven't ridden it, I've heard that there's a nice ride down the east side of the lake, back to Watkins Glen. Gotta walk through Watkins Glen park while you're there too.

Don't know from where you're coming, but if you happen to be coming up 15, get onto 14 north at Trout Run (about 10 miles north of Williamsport) THAT'S a nice ride up also. Goes through Elmira, which isn't any big deal (just lights in town) but 14 goes up to Watkins Glen & Sodus Point. You'll be able to find lots of places to stay in/near Elmira.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies, and info. Going up 2nd week of sept, will do Corning and the Glenn Curtiss Museum, the rest of the time will just do what feels right. Thanks

Ron

Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
bunt
Intermediate

Recently stayed here in Ithaca at the Inn on Columbia B&B:
http://www.columbiabb.com/
Very nice place, do the procrastinator special. Some great restaurants within walking distance in "The Commons" area.