Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo quit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009 | 09:43 PM
bigskyhd
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Unhappy Speedo quit!

I'm riding home from a little 300 miler today, and looked down at my speedo. It jumped a couple of times, and then just laid flat. Started to work a little later, then quit again. It's a 2000 Road King, with fuel injection. Ideas and thoughts appreciated. Thx

Old 08-11-2009 | 09:59 PM
hover
Road Captain

VSS (vehicle speed sensor), thats my guess.

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:19 PM
bigskyhd
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, over on one of the other HD Forums they had some pictures and a very detailed explanation if that's the problem. Thanks Hover. Anybody else out there with any thoughts, or is that kind of the consensus?

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:25 PM
stevengb
Road Warrior

The sensor that's on top of the transmission gets a shaving or something on it and fouls it up...just have to unsrew it and wipe it off and screw it back.

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd start with that. Take it out and clean off the shavings and see if it helps. Probably need replacing, but sometimes cleaning it does the trick.

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:32 PM
bigskyhd
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks guys. I'm running Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof, and I'm pretty religious about keeping things clean. But I must say I've never pulled it to check, and getting close to 75K. I sure hope that's it. I'm headed to the garage. Thanks again.

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:35 PM
hover
Road Captain

When mine acts up, everything in the speedo quits (self canceling turn signals wont cancel, cruise wont work, odometer wont work, no 6 speed indicator). Dealer replaced sensor, and cleaned corroded connector and packed connector w/dialectric grease. Washed bike with garden hose last night and the darn thing quit again! I'm steamed and need help too! Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:59 PM
bigskyhd
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I LOVE THIS FORUM! Problem solved (temporarily). I realize it might need to be replaced, but it's nice to know what the problem was. Never had that happen before on these new fangled electronic machines. Time was when it was a cable, or gear head, or something like that. Much appreciated folks.

Old 08-12-2009 | 04:56 PM
stevengb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I LOVE THIS FORUM! Problem solved (temporarily). I realize it might need to be replaced, but it's nice to know what the problem was. Never had that happen before on these new fangled electronic machines. Time was when it was a cable, or gear head, or something like that. Much appreciated folks.
Don't worry about replacing it....my 03 electraglide did it twice...then never again as long as I had it...my buddy mechanic says it's just something that happens. Just a small splinter of a shaving gets on there. It is a cool forum tho for quick fixes!

Old 08-12-2009 | 05:31 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by hover
VSS (vehicle speed sensor), thats my guess.
needs cleaning? My Lowrider did it often.

Quick Reply: Speedo quit!