Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat management ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default heat management ?

on tuesday we finally got up in the 80's,i'm driving home rush hour.i hit traffic now not that bad side road with lights and 2 lanes going into one.maybe a mile or 2.the bike started to idle lower than normal and eventually stalled 3 times would've been 5 times but i caught it in time.i already have the 25 degree inj. so i go to the dealer i bought this bike from.the service writer talked to a tech and he told me that's how the heat mangement system works,i'm like it wasn't that hot and that much traffic and it's may.what i'm i going to do in july august? something has to be adjusted?maybe you can bump up the temp in the map?i sat in traffic over an hour with my 04 injected heritage and never had anything like this happen.i'm starting to wonder if it was a good move to trade in the heritage for this!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: heat mangement ?

Stalling is NOT one of the 4 heat management phases on 06's. Read your owner's manual and find a new dealer to service your bike!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jersey,
I was up in NH last weekend and it was friggin hot.... 86°F. On our way home we was held in traffic for a bit and the longer we sat there/barely move, I noticed the bike starting to idle down.... then eventually going into the miss fire mode. This i did notice as it idles a little rough. The only stall I had was when I went to take off the last time.... I believe that was operator error....... Other than that I had no stalling.... and Ill tell you my thighs (cough cough) where hot.....

Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

I feel your pain, I have the same issues as you, the 06 EFI are just programmed TOO lean, unfortunatly i have come to the conclusion that the only solution is an aftermarket tun.er like PCIII or SERT to change the mapping and allow more fuel.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
jjsanta
Tourer

I was having that problem before I had the 1K service done. I told the dealer about it and since they made the adjustments it has not happened again. I was even in some traffic this weekend, and with the temp close to 90 the bike still idled fine. I do not have a fuel management device on my SG and I am running the stock tune with the 8 degree injectors. I'll ask the tech for more detail about what they did next time I am at the dealer.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Jersey

You may want to make sure that you have the correct EMC download to match the 25 degree injectors. It almost sounds like you have the fuel map for the 8's still in there?

Bob

Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpikeCT

The only stall I had was when I went to take off the last time.... I believe that was operator error.......
When my bike went into heat management in Myrtle Beach, I also stalled the bike when letting out the clutch. With the lowers rpm's and the misfires, you have to use a little more finesse when you start rolling. Once I figured that out it didn't happen again.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Yoman
Tourer

Dealer I took my bike to with the same problem you have said and I quote "If you have any mods.. exhaust, intake...ect. done on an 06 it will run hot, it's too lean straight from the factory." Had him put the SERT on and dyno it, ran in 94 deg. heat this weekend and got in stop and go traffic on the interstate. Bike got hot but did not go into heat management like before. Your going to have to do some kind of fuel management on the bike.

Yoman

Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I experienced my first time in the heat managment mode in lower Manhatten sunday. Bike idled like crap but never stalled. But I did keep the revs up a tad when letting out the clutch

Old 06-01-2006, 01:27 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

I experienced my first time in the heat managment mode in lower Manhatten sunday. Bike idled like crap but never stalled. But I did keep the revs up a tad when letting out the clutch
it stalled out while in neutral.you probably know north ave in elizabeth?off 1&9 heading towards the parkway.goes from 2 down to 1 lane and cages that don't give anyone a break

Quick Reply: heat management ?