Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Passenger Backrest Luggage Rack...PICS ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 AM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detachable Passenger Backrest Luggage Rack...PICS ADDED

I just finished installing this rack p/n 53011-98 on my ride and I noticed that it is only rated for 10 lbs. Why wasn't this stated in the HD dream book ??

I'm planning on placing a t-bag over the top of the luggage rack that when packed will weigh more that 10 lbs. Has anyone encountered problems with too much weight on this luggage rack ??

Thanks,

R

Old 06-01-2006, 01:55 AM
2smoooth
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Detachable Passenger Backrest Luggage Rack

I actually installed the "stealth" luggage rack (which also talks about 10lbs I believe.. looking for my install sheet to verify).

Anyhow, if you take a look at the pictures in my gallery you will see a shot of my bike with a Route 66 T-bag on the back.. and I can sure tell you it weighed a lot more than 10 lbs.

Worked fine....

(individual results may vary)

Old 06-01-2006, 02:04 AM
wuznme
Cruiser

lawyer writing....

Old 06-01-2006, 02:08 AM
twoseas
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2smoooth

I actually installed the "stealth" luggage rack (which also talks about 10lbs I believe.. looking for my install sheet to verify).

Anyhow, if you take a look at the pictures in my gallery you will see a shot of my bike with a Route 66 T-bag on the back.. and I can sure tell you it weighed a lot more than 10 lbs.

Worked fine....

(individual results may vary)

Thanks for your comeback...I believe your "Stealth Rack" is supported by the "U" shaped bar above the fender, where mine is only attached to the sissy bar and not supported towards the rear over the fender.

I can push down on the rack with my hand with some force and it barely budges. I'm not sure why it's only rated to 10 lbs ????

R

Old 06-01-2006, 02:12 AM
2smoooth
Road Captain

Actually if you look at the stealth rack on the HD website.. the u-shape bar you reference is not installed on my bike (kind of hard to tell in my pictures). I think the u-shape bar is for those wanting to add the tour pack (I am not 100% positive).

I did just looked at your rack on the HD site and noticed the lack of support over the fender.. although as you noted it sure seems it would hold more than 10lb.

When my T-bag is installed however I think that the majority of the weight is taken up by the backrest.. leaving minimal weight for the actual rack.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 AM
twoseas
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2smoooth

yeah, I think you are correct.. I just looked at your rack on the HD site and noticed the lack of support over the fender.

When my T-bag is installed however I think that the majority of the weight is taken up by the backrest.. leaving minimal weight for the actual rack.
That's a good point about the weight being taken up by the backrest...thanks for your input.

R

Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that set-up on my '00 RK, went to Milwaukee & back (1500 mi.) with at least 30 lbs. in a stuffed-to-the-max T-bag, 2 leather jackets, and rain gear on it with no problems, it did get little loose after a while, I think the bushings the sideplates go into wear in a bit.

K.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:00 AM
twoseas
Road Master

Thanks to all for your replies...

R

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not that the rack can't physically handle more than 10 pounds. It's a CYA statement due to fact that some people grossly overload the rack and it can adversely affect handling because the weight is behind the rear axle. As much weight as possible should be located low and between the axles as close to the center of the bike as possible. Pack heavy items into the front of the saddlbags and try to pack the T-bag with lighter stuff and you'll be OK. I've t raveled two up with probably 25 pounds on the rack and it's been fine. Test drive and if you notice the front end of the bike getting light and acting weird, reduce the amount of weight in the pack.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 AM
jusask
Intermediate

I have the removable sissy bar/back rest on my SG and just went to From WI to TN (about 1500mi over the weekend) The way I loaded it up would make the Beverly Hillbillys envious. Granted the bigger Kuryakin bag was on the seat, but Tent, sleeping bag, other bags were attached to the backrest. Not a problem at all and I have to say .... a similar removable backrest on my 99 softail has endured many miles with the same kind of abuse without a problem ..... shoot !!! still fits as tight and solid as it did new. If ur worried about it, just attach a safety line to your belt.

Quick Reply: Detachable Passenger Backrest Luggage Rack...PICS ADDED