Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Default HK radio issues UPDATE

Just returned from Sturgis Sat. Thank God we left Friday morning and missed the hail. Anyway back to the radio issue. We rode a ton in the rain and I had no issue with the radio until the last leg of the trip.After a hard rain I lost my display. The screen glows orange and the unit operates fine. You just can not see the black read out. This is on an 06 ultra so it is out of warranty. My question is (and I did a search and read the issue that others are having) would you send the unit in to Iron Cross Audio for a repair bill of $250, or replace with the biketronics kit and a marine head unit?
I am sure there are many others that have had this same issues. I am just trying to find out all options here. I do listen to earbuds and need to have whatever unit able to feed the console 6 pin hook up.
Well I sent in the radio to IroncrossAudio.com for repair. They turned it around in a week. The radio is in new condition as they replaced the faceplate, LCD and the PCB board. Tony also replaced and reinforced a couple of circuits and installed a liquid modification to prevent this issue from reoccurring in the future.
If anyone has radio issues with the HK unit and would like an option other than the dealer to install a refurbished unit for way more than these guys will go over yours inside and out. This may be the way to go. Now I know many have upgraded to the biketronic's setup and I was almost going that way as well. But for the time being I am glad that this repair was a total of $265.00 which included shipping and insurance etc...

Last edited by SpiderPig; 08-18-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine had some problems after a day in the rain and I figured the switches were wet in the handlebar. After they dried out everything was fine. Have you went into setup and tried to adjust the contrast?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes I tried the contrast and with no luck. I actually opened up the unit and found moisture on the PCB and the LCD. I just spoke with Iron Cross Audio and they explained their procedures for water proofing and also stated that they have a 2% failure rate after they work on these units. So this looks to be the route to go.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the Iron Cross route for my 09 ultra.. Money well spent! I had them add pre-amp oututs and move the aux in to the rear ot the unit as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

same issue with my 06. display went out 1st time after washing the bike without covering the radio, came back after about 3 weeks. bike was still under warranty then but dealer refused to replace the radio after it started working again. recently the display has started going all funky everything from totally blank to everything displaying upside down to nothing but garbage displaying.

I'll not put a penny in this piece of $hit radio. I will be going the biktronics/marine radio route.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Yes I tried the contrast and with no luck. I actually opened up the unit and found moisture on the PCB and the LCD. I just spoke with Iron Cross Audio and they explained their procedures for water proofing and also stated that they have a 2% failure rate after they work on these units. So this looks to be the route to go.
If you use your cb and intercom (I do) you'll have to make other arrangements for them if you switch head units. I have decided if my HK unit goes out (keeping fingers crossed it never does) I'll just send it to iron cross.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Racer-X
Novice

Originally Posted by timvan
I went the Iron Cross route for my 09 ultra.. Money well spent! I had them add pre-amp oututs and move the aux in to the rear ot the unit as well.
Thing that impressed me most about Iron Cross Audio is the condition the unit came back in. They fixed the audio issue it was sent in for, but beyond that, they did a bunch of other stuff that had nothing to do with the problem I was having. They even removed the UV coating from the lens so the display doesn't look all water spotted and foggy. Solid as a rock now, especially after they told me to check the mounting brackets...yep, it was broken.

big +1 for Iron Cross Audio

Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Well the radio was sent off to Iron cross audio today. I will update everyone on how this turns out when I get it back. Good to hear about them going over the whole radio, when I spoke with them this morning I was impressed with the level of detail of the conversation and that these guys seemed to know a great deal about this radio. They also explained that they will take steps to waterproof the thing to prevent future exposure.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

I updated my first post. Thought this might be of some help to others if you ever have radio issues and are looking for a good repair.
http://ironcrossaudio.com/

Last edited by SpiderPig; 09-13-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
uofm
Intermediate

Mine did the samething. It took about a month and a half but it came back all good. I still think the radio is junk.

Quick Reply: HK radio issues