Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Just FYI to all. If you are having issues with your HK unit and choose not to have it repaired. When I spoke with Tom at Iron Cross he offered to buy the unit as is if I decided to go a different route with a different radio. I am glad I had them work on it. I am very satisfied with the results. FWIW

Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Just FYI to all. If you are having issues with your HK unit and choose not to have it repaired. When I spoke with Tom at Iron Cross he offered to buy the unit as is if I decided to go a different route with a different radio. I am glad I had them work on it. I am very satisfied with the results. FWIW
I need to ask: what is it that they do that makes these HK radios better than re-manufactured? I just don't understand...

Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTyme
I need to ask: what is it that they do that makes these HK radios better than re-manufactured? I just don't understand...
There are potential issues with the unit that may not be addressed during the re-manufacturing (refurb) process. The refurb process is now done at a third party provider. In effect, their job is to move product and supply the exchange program. I'm sure they do a decent job, and the units will probably be fine.

Iron Cross Audio has a program that goes beyond what the refurb facility will do. Reinforcement of connectors and solder joints in areas that they know may be vibration sensitive. redoing the conformal coating of the main board in the specific areas where they know liquid intrusion to be an issue. These are just a few of the preventative measures That Iron Cross Audio takes that are nor done at the refurb level. ICA techs are the people who actually trained the techs at the third party refub facility....they're just flat out better.

Add to that the fact that you get your unit back with whatever features you want turned on or off. Not needing the dealer to calibrate it. Being able to speak to the techs working on your unit before you send it in to discuss potential outside causes of your problem. They even extend your warranty free of charge for the winter months you're not riding. I think all in all it's a better experience resulting in a better product.

Last edited by Iron Cross Audio; 09-13-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

OK: they go farther in their efforts to make the radio more durable by reinforcing and coatings; I am not aware of what you mean by features being turned on or off and what the "calibration" thing is that is needed.
You may think my questions are dumb but you are talking out of my league. My clock is always running fast and the display is hard to see in the daylight and I don't even want to talk about reception: I use the whip antenna and still can't pull stations out like my car radio can... Can they make this stuff better or are you basically talking the reliably of the radio can be improved by this company???

Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor

OK: they go farther in their efforts to make the radio more durable by reinforcing and coatings; I am not aware of what you mean by features being turned on or off and what the "calibration" thing is that is needed.
You may think my questions are dumb but you are talking out of my league. My clock is always running fast and the display is hard to see in the daylight and I don't even want to talk about reception: I use the whip antenna and still can't pull stations out like my car radio can... Can they make this stuff better or are you basically talking the reliably of the radio can be improved by this company???
I think simply put... You should not have reception issues, you should be able to see the unit in daylight, and your clock should not run fast. If these are defects, they should be repairable. But I think you need to speak to them.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tech
I think simply put... You should not have reception issues, you should be able to see the unit in daylight, and your clock should not run fast. If these are defects, they should be repairable. But I think you need to speak to them.
OK: I was just trying to figure out if I drop this $200 plus will I have a noticeable better radio. Thanks for your impute...

Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
chuckb
Intermediate

I wish I'd heard about them a couple weeks ago to save some money. I just got mine replaced by HD at a cost of $375. Same problem, no display but the radio worked.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

I checked out Iron Cross's web site and even bookmarked the page just in case I may need it someday. I must consider myself lucky as I will only pay the $50 for a replacement with the HD extended warranty: However its anyone's guess on how long the replacement will last me.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I must consider myself lucky as I will only pay the $50 for a replacement with the HD extended warranty: However its anyone's guess on how long the replacement will last me.
I'm in the same boat.Already went thru a refurb unit(no display)and waiting for another.I also have the ESP.

Even with Iron Cross going thru an HK radio,are they just polishing a turd?
Are there aftermarket units that have better reception?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
I'm in the same boat.Already went thru a refurb unit(no display)and waiting for another.I also have the ESP.

Even with Iron Cross going thru an HK radio,are they just polishing a turd?
Are there aftermarket units that have better reception?

This is exactly what I mean about the refurbs. The no display issue can be as a result of vibration damage caused by a possible bike issue, or the fact that the refurb facility is just fixing the issues without addressing the long term reliability. By looking at your unit, alot can be determined as to why it failed. You have no display, dealer pulls the unit and sends it in, you get a refurb. The "why" is never addressed. Now there are multiple failures and all that is done is another refurb is supplied.

As far as reception, tuner packs are something that are common is alot of radios. No-one is really designing their own tuners at this point. Pretty much an off the shelf "computer chip". There are alignments that are done, but it's all pretty much the same in modern units. If there is a reception issue, it's either an alignment or bike(antenna) issue.

It's not a throw-away metric unit. It's well worth having fixed and getting the long term reliability addressed if and when a problem arises. And now there is a competent source that we can deal with.