Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With A Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 AM
joechief
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With A Turn Signal Problem

I was coming home from Sturgis today and my bike started doing something odd. When you turn the ignition to "on", the left turn signal would start to flash. It would not turn off by using the turn signal switch, you would have to turn on the right turn signal, which would make them go to hazard, then hit the right turn signal switch to get them both to shut off. Also, while riding, I would look down and every so often and that left turn signal would be flashing, so I would have to turn on the right so both would be on the hazard mode to get them to shut off. I was told that there is a turn signal module that may be the problem, it costs $114.00 from the moco and I hate to buy it if it's not the problem. Anyone else experience this? We rode through a lot of rain on this trip so I don't know if that may have something to do with it. I gotta believe these are made to work in rainy conditions. Anyway, it worked fine for the last 200+ miles.

Thanks,

Joechief

Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joechief
I was coming home from Sturgis today and my bike started doing something odd. When you turn the ignition to "on", the left turn signal would start to flash. It would not turn off by using the turn signal switch, you would have to turn on the right turn signal, which would make them go to hazard, then hit the right turn signal switch to get them both to shut off. Also, while riding, I would look down and every so often and that left turn signal would be flashing, so I would have to turn on the right so both would be on the hazard mode to get them to shut off. I was told that there is a turn signal module that may be the problem, it costs $114.00 from the moco and I hate to buy it if it's not the problem. Anyone else experience this? We rode through a lot of rain on this trip so I don't know if that may have something to do with it. I gotta believe these are made to work in rainy conditions. Anyway, it worked fine for the last 200+ miles.

Thanks,

Joechief
Yes, I had the exact same problem with my '05. Eventually it came on and would not turn off...It's a bitch trying to get home only making left hand turns...LOL...Anyway, replace your left turn signal switch it will solve your problem.

Last edited by Road Ranger; 08-10-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
mhenning
Advanced

Same thing happen to me. It was the switch. Replaced it and works fine.
Mark

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM
joechief
Cruiser

Thanks guys, the turn signal switch is a helluva lot less money than the module. And yes, trying to get across the state making only left hand turns is a bitch!! I ended up in North Dakota LOL!!

Joechief

Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

have you tried drying it out? there may be some residual moisture in your switch.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
joechief
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emwolb
have you tried drying it out? there may be some residual moisture in your switch.
I thought that once it started working that it possibly had dried out on it's own. But you would think that Harley had to test these components under wet conditions? In fact once I got home, I took it to the car wash and sprayed it down as it was covered in bugs. I rode it home and had no problems and the switch had to be wet. The guys at my local dealership thought it was the turn signal module, the bad part is that the module isn't a plug and play component, they said you have to take it in and have it programmed as they have to flash the ecm. I guess I could take the turn signals off and use hand signals like I did on my old softail LOL.

Joechief