Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Milan
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredone
Put a Jagg 10 row oil cooler on there and ya won't have to worry about those eextreme temps. I rode for a couple of hours yesterday in 97 degree heat. Temp stayed around 200 except for about 15 mins in slow traffic. Highest it went was 225.
My Fan kit is designed to keep those temps down in traffic.
Milan

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

OK, why even install the gauge? If it's not accurate (as one or two have already suggested thus giving another useless number), why bother?

I mean if you're sitting in traffic and the motor got so hot that damage was eminent, wouldn't you have noticed (like your legs are on fire) and taken some action before the thing locks up???

Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
ms3300
Road Captain

PineTree, I installed mine because I wanted to know my temperature. I agree it is useless above 230* but does provide accurate info up to that point. What I have learned is my need for an oil cooler, the gauge has shown me just how HOT my bike can get.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I want to do this mod to my Ultra but was a little concerned about the installation. It's good to know that I might be able to pull it off myself. Thanks for the thread.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:18 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

Funny you mention McEwen saying the gauge is not accurate above 230. I called him last year and asked what the graduations between the numbers on the gauge were. He told me that the gauge was calibrated to be close to the posted numbers on the gauge all the way to 300.
Now I wonder if that’s true. I have an oil cooler and synth oil, but WTF with the gauge?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ms3300
...What I have learned is my need for an oil cooler, the gauge has shown me just how HOT my bike can get.
Fair enough.

But allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute...most of the damage/wear/tear done to an engine is done upon start up when the oil is cold. And for most engines (especially an air-cooled one) cold running is very damaging.

I use to fly air-cooled single-engine airplanes in northern New England in the winter...we would never attempt to start one without pre-heating as doing so was far too damaging (read costly).

Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ms3300
I installed a Roger McEwan on my 08 EGC. Install was ez, just follow the directions. The gauge itself, however, is only accurate between 170* and 230* (spoke to Roger McEwan who said it is within 5% in this temp range). The problem I had was my gauge was constantly pegging out at 300*, worried I contacted Roger who gave me the above information. On a recent trip when the temp was hovering around 300*, I pulled over and checked it with a digital dip stick. Took two readings on two seperate occasions..the first was 269 and the second was 255. Not saying the McEwan gauge is bad as it works for what it is designed to do. All said and done, I wished I would have purchased the HD gauge..if you notice it reads to 350* (for a reason!!!) Good mod though, I just don't panic anymore when my gauge pegs out.
I have the same gauge and was wondering the same thing. Thanks good to know, I think I'll verify the temp next ride. Do you know if the HD gauge connects the same way?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
On an 07 at least you have to go to the hardware store and get a good quality pipe fitting to adapt it into the hole in the pan. Then it works fine.
The new HD kits (with an "A" on the end of the part number)
have the adapter in the package.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just ordered the fairing oil temp gauge and oil cooler. is there any way that the oil temp will read correclty with the oil cooler installed at all times. HD manual says it will not read correctly untill the oil cooler's thermostat opens.. any photos where u connected the oil temp pick up sensor on the oil pan.. curious. i might do install myself.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that air temp gauge is used only to fill a hole in the inner fairing it seems. useless.

Quick Reply: oil temp??