Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance on a '09 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Gliderider64
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance on a '09 Road Glide

Recently looked into purchasing the stageII big bore kit for my '09 RG. Dealer says this kit will give me about 86 HP, but was looking more for around 100 HP, without haveing to "crack the case" and intall the 110 or 113 kit. Any suggestions?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

i got 80 hp with just a stage 1, i would look for a good indy in your area....

Last edited by davewear; 08-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

numbers are merely that. numbers. if you want 100 hp at 6,000 rpm, then that's probably do able with the right recipie of parts and tuning. but would your torque at low rpm's be sufficient. it was explained to me many years ago, that the difference between torque and horsepower boil down to basically this: torque is what delivers you to a given speed, as to where horsepower maintains that speed.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:15 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliderider64
Recently looked into purchasing the stageII big bore kit for my '09 RG. Dealer says this kit will give me about 86 HP, but was looking more for around 100 HP, without haveing to "crack the case" and intall the 110 or 113 kit. Any suggestions?
Have you ever considered Pro-Charging it.You'll get right around 123hp./110tq. on a stock 96".I know a guy that will give you a hell of a deal.I have a Pro-Charged '07 FLHTC and I absolutely love it.All I can say is they're BIG FUN!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
Have you ever considered Pro-Charging it.You'll get right around 123hp./110tq. on a stock 96".I know a guy that will give you a hell of a deal.I have a Pro-Charged '07 FLHTC and I absolutely love it.All I can say is they're BIG FUN!
see previous post on this. big #'s at high rpm on a bagger? no thanks. Try making 100ftlbs of tq at or below 2500rpm and holding it till redline. Now thats a fun ride. Talk to a reputable builder. HINT, the dealer aint it. If you want some chrome goodies bolted on, by all means they can do it. You want a motor built? Talk to someone who makes power for a living.
You can EASILY make over 100ftlbs of tq and 100HP without cracking the case. And have a very well mannered fuel efficient bagger. There is no magic part that will give it to you, its a combination of parts all working in harmony. Hillside or Headquarters would be a good place to start.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ryanl
see previous post on this. big #'s at high rpm on a bagger? no thanks. Try making 100ftlbs of tq at or below 2500rpm and holding it till redline. Now thats a fun ride. Talk to a reputable builder. HINT, the dealer aint it. If you want some chrome goodies bolted on, by all means they can do it. You want a motor built? Talk to someone who makes power for a living.
You can EASILY make over 100ftlbs of tq and 100HP without cracking the case. And have a very well mannered fuel efficient bagger. There is no magic part that will give it to you, its a combination of parts all working in harmony. Hillside or Headquarters would be a good place to start.
It's very obvious by your post that you've never rode a Pro-Charged bike nor have you run up against one.Dont knock'em until you've done one of the two.Best thing about a Pro-Charger, you want to maybe get rid of your bike and get something else {I'm doing that right now} you just pull it off and put it on the next bike.Instant 100% gain in hp/tq.Try doing that with a built motor.You cant your just out that much more money .As far as a magic part yes there is such a thing its called a Pro-Charger.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
It's very obvious by your post that you've never rode a Pro-Charged bike nor have you run up against one.Dont knock'em until you've done one of the two.Best thing about a Pro-Charger, you want to maybe get rid of your bike and get something else {I'm doing that right now} you just pull it off and put it on the next bike.Instant 100% gain in hp/tq.Try doing that with a built motor.You cant your just out that much more money .As far as a magic part yes there is such a thing its called a Pro-Charger.
I looked at the pro charger when I did my build, guy had several sheets on tunes he did, most were in the 120/110 range. They made decent power once they got above 4500rpm
Besides being ugly as sin, I wanted LOW RPM TORQUE. Nice having a bike that does that and still looks stock. Suprises a lot of people on the smaller bikes. Just seems to me like the pro charger would be better suited on a VROD or a yamazuki. But to each his own.
BTW what bike are you getting next. another bagger?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 AM
apbtlvr
Road Captain

I guess I might as well put my 2 cents in. That procharger is cool IF you don't ride hard a lot or plan to keep your bike. The stock rings and bottom end aren't going to put up with that kind of pressure long term. A good build will last 40 or 50K hard miles. I doubt a stock supercharged or turbocharged engine will.

Back to the original question...a good builder will give you what you want. Stay away from the dealer. I worked there so I know first hand.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 AM
FastBagger07
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ryanl
I looked at the pro charger when I did my build, guy had several sheets on tunes he did, most were in the 120/110 range. They made decent power once they got above 4500rpm
Besides being ugly as sin, I wanted LOW RPM TORQUE. Nice having a bike that does that and still looks stock. Suprises a lot of people on the smaller bikes. Just seems to me like the pro charger would be better suited on a VROD or a yamazuki. But to each his own.
BTW what bike are you getting next. another bagger?
I'm picking up a new '09 RoadGlide Tuesday.I always liked the way they looked .With the deals they're throwing out there why not.As for the low torque on a Pro-Charger all you need to do is either throw in a set of 211's or like I did throw in the 30T Compensator from EVO Industries and you have the best of both worlds.Actually the power starts coming on at about 2800rpm's and doesnt stop till you hit the rev limiter.As with most builds{natuarlly aspirated} they run out of steam between 4500rpm-5000rpm depending on what cam they go with.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Originally Posted by apbtlvr
I guess I might as well put my 2 cents in. That procharger is cool IF you don't ride hard a lot or plan to keep your bike. The stock rings and bottom end aren't going to put up with that kind of pressure long term. A good build will last 40 or 50K hard miles. I doubt a stock supercharged or turbocharged engine will.

Back to the original question...a good builder will give you what you want. Stay away from the dealer. I worked there so I know first hand.

I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. My Cust. has a..
99 Fatboy 44,000 miles on it

1. Magna Charger 8 psi boost
2. EV 27 cam
3. Cycle shacks drag pipes.

Still stock motor with new lifters in it now. I am not a fan of the Magna Charger but this system has been on the bike since year 2000. And still going......... he rides this bike everywhere.

What people dont understand that the bike still rides normal under 2800rpm it only has 1 lbs boost. there is a blow off on it untill there is a load on it more less wide open throttle it does not make that much boost most of the time you are still pulling vacuum. But again that all depends on you motor work and how you ride. In four years I have not seen a built motor beat a bike with a built motor with a blower. Or even a stock motor with a blower on it.

Most of the bikes that are out hear built are 100/100tq plus and still have not seen one beat a stock motor 96 inch with a blower on it that makes 120 hp 110tq plus.

Now the looks of it well thats different story to each is there own. But eveywhere I go with mine I have a groups people always out there looking at bike saying thats got to be fast......

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Thanks,

Last edited by DRAGO1; 08-10-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance on a '09 Road Glide