Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107 package

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default HQ 107 package

Okay after much thought and deliberation I have decided on the HQ 107 as the new Motor for my bike. Thanks to Ikro, PhilM and others here for helping me spend money, I know it will be worth it. Now some questions. I have taken Fastharley advice and will use the local indie he recommended in SoFla, he will charge $60 and hour labor 13 hours for the build, HD qualified mechanic for 25 years, only issue is he takes cash or check which means I will have to tell the wife I am doing this hehe.

What tuner? Looking at the SEST and TTS Mastertune? Have a deccent tuner at local dealer but will only tune the SEST. Have another member here on the board that is highly recommeded here on the forum in Central Fla, Doc, just dont know his full screen name of how to get in touch with him. What is the best tuner to go with between these two?

Does HQ provide a base tune map to get started?

Cam? The package recommends the 575 but this is a 09 bike with the different gear ratio, should I go with the 525 instead?

Lifters? I was initially planning to keep the stock lifters but the Indie told me they might be a little more noisy after build, noise does not bother me so much but after reading the HQ site the have the Black Ops lifters that are supposed to be quieter and better, have you had any experience with them and did you see any benefit.

Should I have the Timken bearings installed at this time?

Cam chain tensioners, should I replace them and if so which ones should I put in there?

Need to remind mech to align oil pump (PhilM thread), have slight oil in filter but I ride like a mad man at times so could be normal.

Anything else I need to think about doing while bike is apart?

I just want to say I made it almost a full year without doing motor upgrades on this bike, really feels weird hehe.

I dont like the new HQ website.

Last edited by masterblaster; 08-09-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 AM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Doc for the tune, use whatever tuning device he likes.
Sounds like its gonna be a fun ride.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 AM
helikenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Master,

This post should be posted on the Headquarters forum for Doug or Boz to answer fully, I could answer it all, but it should really be discussed there.

http://hqperformance.freeforums.org/

BTW you will love the HQ107 or 103 for that matter.

Kenny

Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I know heikenny, been trying to get my user name reactivated, think they dont work weekends on the web though. Will post there also when I get logged on but this forum has a much larger base of contributors. Thanks for heads up though.

Originally Posted by helikenny
Master,

This post should be posted on the Headquarters forum for Doug or Boz to answer fully, I could answer it all, but it should really be discussed there.

http://hqperformance.freeforums.org/

BTW you will love the HQ107 or 103 for that matter.

Kenny

Last edited by masterblaster; 08-09-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 AM
helikenny
Advanced

Master,
Yeah that's prolly the issue. I can only tell you what I do on the 08's and will do on the 09's ( I have 3 to do this fall)
Yes, go with the 575 with NEW lifters....use the black ops lifters.
If you're not going with a full build HQ525 or 500's are the cams of choice.
By all means the oil pump alignment is absoulutely nessessary! The Timkens are not required or nessessary. This build will not require the cases to be split, so thats alot of extra labour just for Timkens. I have alot of HQ motors running around on stock bottom ends with absolutely no problems. All of the tuners you mentioned work well, get the one you're tuning mech likes as he will know it best........and get the HQ pro-tuner as well. Other than that build the package as it states....you'll love it!

Kenny

Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 AM
helikenny
Advanced

oh ya, and you have hyd. tensioners....they're cheap........renew them too. Good luck! Kenny

Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Might I suggest a PC-V with AutoTune. Seems like a good fit for the upgrades you have in mind and any to come. I understand from others that it has a faster update speed compared others.

But I haven't had a chance to go bigger myself....yet. Anyone think one tuner is better than another just based on displacement?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm jonesing to do the same Jerry! Will follow progress. Looks like a BUILD PARTY is in store. I miss reading and looking at pics from those days.. PhilM, Dalton, BryanTTM, and others all getting together to help members out. How things have changed around here.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like a great alternative to harleys' 103.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
sounds like a great alternative to harleys' 103.
no shortage of those....

Quick Reply: HQ 107 package