Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 5 and the engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Power Commander 5 and the engine light

Do you still wait for the engine light to go out before starting when you have a power commander 5 ??? I am being told not to, going to call Fuel Moto on Monday.

Thanks Be Safe JIM

Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
Do you still wait for the engine light to go out before starting when you have a power commander 5 ??? I am being told not to, going to call Fuel Moto on Monday.

Thanks Be Safe JIM
don't think so with the pc5 i think at one time it was the pc3 that had to recharge after a few seconds mine has the pc5 and it starts right up .

Old 08-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

I wait on the light to go out, never had any problems.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Buxtonite
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 08 cranks a few times before it fires if I wait for the light. I don't wait. I hear it has something to do with how the PC5 powers up.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
dklanecky
Tourer

For the first few thousand miles, i countinued to follow the original starting instructions and waited foir the light go out. Never had any starting issues. Recently, I've stopped wiating and same thing, no starting issues.

Don't get me wrong, these forums are wonderful sources of information, but sometimes I wonder if anyone, anwhere else, is so **** about their machines and exactly how they operate..............

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

if i wait it takes a few cranks to fire, so i hit the starter as soon as i hit the run switch and it fires first crank everytime.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

soon as i turn the ignition on, i push the starter, it fires right up. now if you wait, the initial blast of fuel into the cylinders has sort of weakened, was my thoughts on it. it lights right up for me if i hit the starter right away. if i wait, it's gotta turn over a couple of times. i asked keith at fuelmoto when i installed my pcv and that was his recommendation.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone else have the engine light stay on for about 10 secs after firing up? It always goes away but the first time I started after installing the PCV made me a little nervous.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by julesdain
Anyone else have the engine light stay on for about 10 secs after firing up? It always goes away but the first time I started after installing the PCV made me a little nervous.
you have a hard code thrown in your ECM. if the light goes out it is a historic code, and will go away if you clear it or after ~50 ignition cycles.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
soon as i turn the ignition on, i push the starter, it fires right up. now if you wait, the initial blast of fuel into the cylinders has sort of weakened, was my thoughts on it. it lights right up for me if i hit the starter right away. if i wait, it's gotta turn over a couple of times. i asked keith at fuelmoto when i installed my pcv and that was his recommendation.
you can wait as long as you want after turning the ignition on. its the stop/run switch on the handlebar that you need to hit the starter soon after flipping that to run. that is also when the check engine light will illuminate (after flipping the handlebar switch to run).

if you wait a few seconds after turning your ignition on, you give the onboard diag in the speedo time to complete. if you hit it too soon, you could be running down the road at 90mph and your speedo registering 30mph.....

Quick Reply: Power Commander 5 and the engine light