Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT or PC III

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
ScottFLHX
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT or PC III

Gents,

I use to own a PCIII however my dealer is selling me on the SERT. Is it really that much better or just safer for the bike in case the PCIII dies? Say I went with the SERT, I still want to install my pipes and filter by myself. However I really dont want to drive the bike there with the new pipes with out the correct map. I live about 2 miles from my dealer. Any sugguestions? comments?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SERT or PC III

Most dealers are clueless as to SERT tuning. Those that do usually tune rich. PCIII is fine for most applications and easy to tune. Personally I would not have a PCIII. But going with a SERT requires a knowlegable tuner and that usually excludes dealers.

If the dealer says it will take 6-8 hours to tune the SERT, then they are clueless. Should take around an hour. SERT has a greater range than the PCIII but that isn't necessary for most.

Bottom line is before going with the SERT make sure you have a qualified tuner

Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ScottFLHX

Gents,

I use to own a PCIII however my dealer is selling me on the SERT. Is it really that much better or just safer for the bike in case the PCIII dies? Say I went with the SERT, I still want to install my pipes and filter by myself. However I really dont want to drive the bike there with the new pipes with out the correct map. I live about 2 miles from my dealer. Any sugguestions? comments?
If you go with the sert, it includes a base map for your bike with the SE AC and slip-ons. You can upload your own map in about 3 minutes. If you understand anything about tuning, it's not hard to modify the base map and get your bike running great. A dyno tune might squeeze out a couple more horsepower, but you can use the sert yourself and get it dialed in pretty good. There is nothing wrong with the PCIII either, but I like my sert a lot and I wouldn't trade.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all comes down to a capable/experienced tuning technician. For me a PCIII was the only way to go, performance shop 10 minutes away...master tuner or HD dealer (SERT) 1 minute away...rookie tuner. The 10 minute ride was worth it!

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

I would call my dealer and see if it will void the warranty. Some say yes many says No the SERT will not void the warranty because it's a HD made part that made up my mine for me in choosing between the two. Also the SERT is tune specifically for your bike the PCIII just has common map that works pretty good. After you choose one I recommend a Dyno Tune for the best performance.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
ScottFLHX
Intermediate

My dealer told me the tech has most of the maps in his head??? They have a dyno on order from what they said. Once they get it in I should be all set right? The dyno pretty much tells them what to do. Anyone know of a good place to get custom maps for the SERT?

Super Sucker
Rineharts
Stock FI 88 CI
15 above sea level (Orlando)

Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I understand that the SERT might be a thing of the past with the EPA cracking down on the MoCo. That might explain why dealers are so eager to push the SERT's that they have in stock.

PowerCommander has a very large dealer network with trained dyno techs. Another thing about the PC, with their new dyno software, the tech can make changes on the fly to your bike, which results in less pulls and less time.

Not sure why zubaugh would not haver a PCIII, but for me it was the only way to go

Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
fimduc
Cruiser

....or go the simple route and put a DFO on and tune it yourself. If you are only going to do exhasut and a big air kit a DFO or Techlusion is plenty adequate and costs $200. If you have bigger plans of adding cams, big bore, etc down the line then go with either the PC or SERT .

This is a good link to info about DFO and TFI http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...rol_module.htm

and this link has some more info though it is from some UK guys
http://www.dynobike.com/techlusion.htm

Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Hey Scott, maps in the head???, and no dyno. Stay well clear of that operation, find a professional!

Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: fimduc

....or go the simple route and put a DFO on and tune it yourself. If you are only going to do exhasut and a big air kit a DFO or Techlusion is plenty adequate and costs $200.

LMAO, isn't that what we all say at the begining

Quick Reply: SERT or PC III