Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does your IPOD sound as good as a CD on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 AM
DamnYankee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"You know, I've read through this thread and the thought at least to me is, I like to get away from all of the bs and sound when I'm on two wheels. I know to each his own but all I like is the sound of my motor and the wind when I am on two wheels."

Agreed........... Sunday poker run, ride up into the mountains, rarely every touch the radio. Four days haulin butt up the superslab, tunes are a nice destraction.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 AM
cogener8
Road Captain

I do the IPOD thing but use ear buds as the RKC has no tunes. I absolutly love it. I have a couple hundred albums on mine. We were on the road a week and never heard the same song twice. It beats the road noise in my opinion and the wind noise can get old and isnt good for your ears.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better...If it is an actual ipod.

ipods record in AAC, think of it as MP4. Sound quality is even better than a CD and if you use an ipod volume, etc. of each song can be customized.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 6.5" speakers in my fairing (HK head unit, no external amp) and the volume of my nano can drown out my True-Dual V&H Classics at highway speed. That being said, the CD is a little louder, but the nano alone is plenty. If your nano is not loud enough, try using a short (12" or 18" cord), maxing out the volume and turning off the volume-limiter that lets parents set the loudest volume on their kid's iPods.

As for fidelity, well, you're on a friggin' motorcycle flying at 80 mph in traffic on the highway for cryin' out loud, not in a concert hall. Anyone who can tell the difference between an MP3, AAC, AIFF or lossless tune on a motorcycle ought to try starting the motorcycle first.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
I put 6.5" speakers in my fairing (HK head unit, no external amp) and the volume of my nano can drown out my True-Dual V&H Classics at highway speed. That being said, the CD is a little louder, but the nano alone is plenty. If your nano is not loud enough, try using a short (12" or 18" cord), maxing out the volume and turning off the volume-limiter that lets parents set the loudest volume on their kid's iPods.

As for fidelity, well, you're on a friggin' motorcycle flying at 80 mph in traffic on the highway for cryin' out loud, not in a concert hall. Anyone who can tell the difference between an MP3, AAC, AIFF or lossless tune on a motorcycle ought to try starting the motorcycle first.
Well put...At speed as the "obama joker" said, there is NO SUCH THING as high fidelity on an open air vehicle.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 AM
IslandGlide
Cruiser

I keep a disc in HK stereo that has about 140 songs on it, and if I get bored of that, I have 100 more on my Lowrance XOG GPS. I feel sound is about the same. Bothe seem to have some songs that just plain sound sh!??y, but most are great.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a touch mounted on my bars,, accessible and with the I-POd wire, volume is great and sound is clearer the CDS, I use both and switch off . also thought about a cd changer in tourpac but I need the room

Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 AM
HilllBillly
Cruiser

My brother in law has burnt a few cd's and some of them wont work on the bike - whats that all about? they work at home, in the car - not on the bike???

Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by performanceisthekey
You know, I've read through this thread and the thought at least to me is, I like to get away from all of the bs and sound when I'm on two wheels. I know to each his own but all I like is the sound of my motor and the wind when I am on two wheels.
You know i have to agree with you fully!!!!!BUT....
It sure is nice to know we have the option!!!!!!!!
"When you start to hear banjo music as played in "DELIVERANCE"
Turn around and head the other WAY!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 AM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Skulmn
Better...If it is an actual ipod.

ipods record in AAC, think of it as MP4. Sound quality is even better than a CD and if you use an ipod volume, etc. of each song can be customized.
I can only imagine how long it would take to kull through all the songs, edit the volume level, do a test ride and then do any other edits needed to the volume. For less than $1, I'll burn mp3 disks and have control of my tunes. I don't need to skip alot of songs at one time because they are all songs I like. With the mp3 cd I can shuffle, repeat, or run down the list, all with what comes in the factory HK. I love the tunes and the only time I'm not listening to it is during the 1st few minutes of the day. Ya know, check for all of the normal rattles and ticks, and then jam out.

Quick Reply: does your IPOD sound as good as a CD on your bike?