Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII or Thundermax ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
HilllBillly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII or Thundermax ?

whats the best type to buy these days?
I was at Gettysburg bike week and saw a display by Thundermax - alot of guys were buying them..... any recomendations? i'm only getting 38 mpg when i ride easy so i'm thinking if swapping out my Digital Fuel Optimizer soon

Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 PM
sortasuave
Tourer

38 in town or on the highway?
How fast are you riding?
Do you want to tinker with your fuel system or just set it and ride?
What tuning are running now?

38 isn't all that bad of mileage with an ultra.....

Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the pc III is yesterdays news, with the pcv out. the pcv is very popular so that should mean that you should be able to get it set up easier than just about anything. harley now has the sest, a replacement for the older sert. thundermax, hmm, if that's what you like. i've got a pcv on my harley and i feel good about it. this being said, it's your money, so your choice.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HilllBillly
whats the best type to buy these days?
I was at Gettysburg bike week and saw a display by Thundermax - alot of guys were buying them..... any recomendations? i'm only getting 38 mpg when i ride easy so i'm thinking if swapping out my Digital Fuel Optimizer soon
I would recommend the PCV from Fuel Moto, or more specifically their Power Package. If mileage is a concern ask for their "mileage map." Call and talk to them for a no-BS recommendation. They sell PCIII, PCV, and Thundermax--among others.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 AM
BDHE
Cruiser

Greetings;

I've been looking into both the Thundermax and the PC-V. I will not say here which way I'm leaning right now for a choice, but these are definitely the next evolution for add-on tuners.

These systems both have the ability to start with a general mapping for your engine configuration, and then "learn" (with the additional auto tune modules) how to self-alter the mapping to be perfect for your particular setup. Things like headwork, cams, different compression ratios, etc can make it very hard, if not impossible, to get a "static map" that's close to perfect. Either system with the autotune module can.

One major difference between the Thundermax (TM) and the PC-V is that the
TM completely replaces the harley ECM, while the PC-V still uses it.

Take a look at the documentation for yourself:

PC-V Information
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/pcvharley.htm

Thundermax Information
http://www.thunder-max.com/

Bryon

Old 08-08-2009, 08:28 AM
HilllBillly
Cruiser

I'm looking for better fuel mileage only -- my bike is stock (except for the Bub7 true duals, ness big sucker).... I want to "set it and forget it" less headaches the better -- i want the best bang for the buck (I dont know the prices of either the TM or PCV)

Old 08-08-2009, 08:41 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

for better milage only leave it stock but it will run hot,surge and stumble.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
TNTHarley
Cruiser

You have to do your own research and then make a decision. TM owners will say they love theirs as will PCV owners. Talk to Jaimie @ FuelMoto for some good technical input.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
waffler
Tourer

I've heard it put this way: If you were on a trip many miles from home and your thundermax ecm was to give you trouble you would be stuck but if you had a power commander and that broke you could just unplug it and plug back in the stock wires and you could at least get home. I think the thundermax a better unit for tuning performance/ fuel mileage or whatever your looking to do later(engine work ect..) Power commander has been very reliable and around for a long time. See what others are getting for fuel mileage I've seen 34-36 mpg on an 07 Good luck Just my .02

Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had both, and I like the PCV better.

The ThunderMax is a nice unit, but the interface requires a bit of learning to understand and use properly. You also have to replace the O2 sensors, which can sometimes be a pain, but you'd have to do that with the PCV if you opted for the auto tune module.

The PCV is cheaper if you don't get the auto tune module. In my opinion, you don't need the auto tune with a standard setup: high flow AC & muffler swap. The canned maps will satisfy most, and youy can always get it tuned. If you're the type that's always changing your setup, swapping cams and modifying your engine, then the auto tune option might be a smart choice.

I also like the support better with the PCV, others may have had different experiences.

But you probably won't save a ton of money with either system. If you go from 38 to 42 MPG, and ride 10K per year, you'll save about 25 gallons a year. At $3.00 per gallon, that's $75. If the unit cost $300, it will take you 4 years to pay for it.

Quick Reply: PCIII or Thundermax ?