Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII or Thundermax ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone is different, but I'm happy with my fuel mileage on my Ultra. 40-46 depending on conditions. I don't ride real hard. I would like a leetle more power and slightly cooler temps. Is it possible with pipes, AC and PCV to have all that and keep mileage in the 40's?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHE
Greetings;
One major difference between the Thundermax (TM) and the PC-V is that the TM completely replaces the harley ECM, while the PC-V still uses it.
Good info. It should also be mentioned that the T'Max is not yet available for '08 and newer bikes (TBW), does not use all the functions of the MAP sensor, and has no knock-sensing ability. The PCV, even without AT, retains all the functions of the stock ECM except the narrow-band O2 sensors. In theory you could use those too with the basic PCV (no AT), but I've never known anyone to do it. Doing that would negate some of the virtues of the PCV's ability to provide cooling by richening AFR's in open-loop mode.

There is no downside to a "piggyback" device like the PCV since if the unit fails you can simply unplug it and ride on as with the stock configuration sans the O2 sensors. OTOH you'll need to stuff the PCV somewhere, which is easy for most bikes, a notable exception being the '08 FLH's with ABS, which is a squeeze.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
I know everyone is different, but I'm happy with my fuel mileage on my Ultra. 40-46 depending on conditions. I don't ride real hard. I would like a leetle more power and slightly cooler temps. Is it possible with pipes, AC and PCV to have all that and keep mileage in the 40's?
The PCV from Fuel Moto will give you the added performance boost and cooler running, but mileage will suffer a bit, probably about 4 mpg compared to stock. OTOH most owners experience much better performance, throttle response, and cooling. Ask for their "mileage map" and they'll lean the cruise range which will improve mileage. With an oil cooler you can go further with the leaning, but tweaking the PC is fodder for another thread. Adding Auto-Tune to the PCV is not necessary for most riders, but is great for tweakers and those who plan on making incremental upgrades (cams, heads, CR, etc.). Another major feature for the PCV is the ability to add a simple on-off switch that enables you to toggle between two maps on the fly. Create one for mileage, another for cooling when the going gets hot. For me this is an important feature.

Last edited by iclick; 08-08-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:56 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HilllBillly
I'm looking for better fuel mileage only -- my bike is stock (except for the Bub7 true duals, ness big sucker).... I want to "set it and forget it" less headaches the better -- i want the best bang for the buck (I dont know the prices of either the TM or PCV)
If you did only what you say and did not get an ECM download or SERT then that is negatively affecting your gas mileage. If this is correct, get the download, forget about it, and get mileage in the mid 40s.

I got 45+ on my last tankful and that included a little over an hour running between 80 and 90 on a west Texas interstate with an 80mph speed limit. This was with my 07 FLHRS with SE slip-ons, SEAC, and a download. I have never gotten less than 44+ mpg.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:50 AM
BDHE
Cruiser

[QUOTE=iclick;5398191]Good info. It should also be mentioned that the T'Max is not yet available for '08 and newer bikes (TBW), does not use all the functions of the MAP sensor, and has no knock-sensing ability. The PCV, even without AT, retains all the functions of the stock ECM except the narrow-band O2 sensors. In theory you could use those too with the basic PCV (no AT), but I've never known anyone to do it. Doing that would negate some of the virtues of the PCV's ability to provide cooling by richening AFR's in open-loop mode.
QUOTE]

iclick;

Some great additional info here -- thanks! One thing though, is that T'Max claims to have units that work on the 08s and 09s, to include auto tune modules.

Bryon

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Rininhoj
Cruiser

Hillbilly,
One thing many seem to be missing is that you have an 06, hence no O2s & no 6th gear. So that said if you went to any thing with Auto tune you would need to add O2 bungs or new header pipes. Without Autotune canned maps are so-so. So you are looking at a dyno tune. Something to watch for in a dyno tune is that they usualy tune for max power, which may drop yuor milage but will usualy drop your heat. After the tune you can tweak your map in the cruise range to lean it out for milage. You may even get the tuner to do this if you talk ahead of time.
Any how, non autotune, go with a PC111/PCV & get a tune. Particulary for timming which has a major affect on mpg. Autotune, go with the PCV as it retains the Ion sensing feature of the stock ECM which lets you run a little more advance for better milage. Not bad mouthing the TMax, that is what I am running. But I do know that a PCV w/AT would get me a little more milage.
All in all 38 mpg is not bad. I have run PC111 with canned map, slipons & SEAC. Started out around 40mpg & wound up about the same. But was not comfortable with ouot a dyno to tell me where my AFR really was. That's why I switched to the TMaxAT. Any how, call Jamie, be sure to mention future plans if any. If you plan to do more, an AT system might be worth the extra $$. If not you have to weigh the spot on of PC111/PCV + dyno to the DIY flexability of an AT system.
Rini

Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BDHE

Some great additional info here -- thanks! One thing though, is that T'Max claims to have units that work on the 08s and 09s, to include auto tune modules.
Thanks for letting me in on that, as that must be a new development, like in the past couple of weeks. I knew they have been working on it for two years, since TBW was introduced.

BTW, I must disagree with Rini that all canned maps are "so-so," as in my experience the PCIII and PCV maps from Fuel Moto are very accurate and most riders will not feel the need to perform a dyno tune. In my case, after installing AT and having used a FM map for some time, the resulting trims showed very little change, not more than 1% in any cell when the AFR's were set to FM's original settings. This is testimony to the accuracy of the original base map. Of course the cruise range trims did change when I altered the target AFR's to suit my needs--i.e., better mileage.

Last edited by iclick; 08-09-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Had the TMAT on my 07 with SE 103 and HQ 500 cams, performance great, milage went into the crapper, switch to the SEST got better but still not as good as the original 96 mpg. Getting ready to do some upgrades and looking a the TTS mastertune or SEST, have not heard any major issues with teh PCV here on the forum, and if you go with Fuelmoto I am sure they will give follow on support if needed.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Is true the PC V has outmoded the PCIII but as long as PCIII works like it does and have not had one days trouble with it in 15,000 Miles and great perfomance as well.. I have always believed in is something ain't broke don't fix it ... The PC V came along with 2009's in mind my PCIII works just fine for me ..

Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

FYI: I was interested in the T-Max w/autotune for my 09 Ultra Classic. Wanted to add the unit to my stock bike just to help with cooling. Then down the road just load another map when I install pipes and A/C. Called and talked with Jamie @ Fuel Moto and he said it would not be out until next year. So I guess I got some time to decide what I want to do.