Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009 | 07:15 PM
akroguy
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default ABS rocks!

Well, had to get on the binders hard this evening coming home. Was cruising along at about 45mph, then light goes yellow...too far away to gun it and make it through safely and too close for a comfortable stop so, decision was made to stop anyway. The ABS engaged immediately after tire chirping was heard, then released then engaged again as needed. The bike stayed fully under directional control, with brakes applied as hard as I could mash 'em, never skidding more than the brief instant it took for the ABS controller to do it's thing.

If ya got ABS, consider yourself well-equipped for when you need a whole lotta whoa in a short amount of space. Could you stop shorter without ABS? Probably, but locked up and sliding the whole way. Do that on a curve and you're dancing with the high side devil.

Old 08-07-2009 | 08:25 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
Cruiser

Yes I agree,ABS is the way to go !

Old 08-08-2009 | 09:03 AM
richnakol
Cruiser

ditto

Old 08-08-2009 | 02:20 PM
captharley
Cruiser

Don't leave home without it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2009 | 03:56 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain

Yep, I've "tested" mine a few times....works well.

Old 08-08-2009 | 04:07 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior

I am just glad that ABS help you stop at a light and not a left turning car. Lately all I have been hearing about is bikes going down.

Be safe JIM

Old 08-08-2009 | 04:34 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

I have ABS by accident. Almost sounds like a contradiction in terms, doesn't it?

I cut a deal for a '09 Street Glide in a particular color, with security and cruise. I didn't order ABS because I've been riding street bikes since '75 and haven't needed it yet (you’re smiling already, aren't you).

Well, the bike the dealer traded for, and gave me the VIN for (insurance, financing, etc) arrived at the dealership. I went to pick it up. There were no security fobs in the "welcome to the harley family" packet, so I asked "security is installed on my bike, right"? The answer was "it says right here on your paperwork that you're paying for it -- so it's either there or it will be as soon as we install a module". Well, they checked and it wasn't installed yet. A young tech was immediately assigned the grave, all important task of installing my security module. Everything was going fine for about 15 minutes, when I look through the large window into the shop and see my sincere young technician, the dealership business manager, my salesman, and the shop manager in a huddle by my spanking new scooter that was now minus the seat and side covers. The business manager finally came in and informed me that the bike the dealership had traded for had arrived with ABS installed. After about 20 minutes of discussion, the dealership decided to "give" me the ABS that I was sure was going to just be extra weight to lug around.

I know, it's too late to cut a long story short, but here's the punch line. The ABS that I'd never had use for most certainly saved my *** on that 100 mile ride home [no details offered here -- involved first ride on a strange motorcycle and gravel]. I will never own another motorcycle without ABS.

You won't need it until you do. But, WHEN you do, you'll need it very badly.

Bryon

Last edited by BDHE; 08-08-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2009 | 04:40 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

Originally Posted by BDHE
I will never own another motorcycle without ABS.
+1 , worth every dollar.

Old 08-08-2009 | 05:10 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

Glad it worked out for you, you've got to watch for those red lights

Old 08-08-2009 | 05:45 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Ive activated mine one time in the 1200 miles Ive put on it in the same situation. Worked impeccably.

Quick Reply: ABS rocks!