Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sales Tax-- friggin' HATING it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sales Tax-- friggin' HATING it...

We all know that CA is by far the best state in the good ol' USA--- bar none--- especially better than Texas and New York--- Florida is just plain jealous trying to be all sunny and crap... (I mean, you can only drink so much OJ)

Except for one small point... taxes!

I think we have the HIGHEST Income Tax, and now the highest Sales Tax.

While no one in their right mind would actually live in a state like Oregon, they, at least, have no sales tax.

So, I am wondering, and asking, if anyone has figured a way, legit or not, to avoid sales tax on a new scoot...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know but when you figure it out let us know.......Kinda hard to do unless you register it in another state with lower taxes.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Chimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I did. I moved to TX. I still had my OR drivers license, and my mother in law still lives in OR. So I was able to get an OR dealer to sell me a bike and title it in OR. No sales tax. Then I was able to change the title to TX as my own bike and clearly not pay sales tax here.

So the key is getting it titled in a state with no sales tax. But you have to have some proof of being a resident of that state, which is the trick, else they cannot title it to you there. In your case even if you bought in OR they would title it in CA.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Illinois if you buy a bike from a private party the tax is only $25.00. No matter what year.... Buy from a out of state dealer and you pay taxes based on your county, just like you purchased in state.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
bowhunter7532
Novice

all veterans in oklahoma the tag and tax is 4.00

Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master

I won't go into the old California "steers & queers" joke, but I left that state many years ago for the no-sales-tax, god's country, great state of Orygun and haven't looked back. We'll send your Governator an IOU, I think he's running out of them by now.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
scooplove
Tourer

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Deal with ityou could not pay me enough to live in California. As much as taxes suck all states have there advantages and disadvantages when it comes to living in and paying taxes.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by dabluesguy
I won't go into the old California "steers & queers" joke, but I left that state many years ago for the no-sales-tax, god's country, great state of Orygun and haven't looked back. We'll send your Governator an IOU, I think he's running out of them by now.
Ah, come on, tell the truth--- Oregon nuttin but trees rain and hippies--- love your cross-dressing mayor--- how embarrassing is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwD6mjsZveI

Originally Posted by Scubamike
Deal with ityou could not pay me enough to live in California. As much as taxes suck all states have there advantages and disadvantages when it comes to living in and paying taxes.
Bet I could!

But seriously, guys, CA does suck regarding taxes---

But I think CHIMP has the right idea--- buy the scoot in OR --- take title there--- then re-register the thing in home state---

The only problem I see is that most states have rules about how long you can have an out of state vehicle before it is registered--- and I am pretty sure that CA has a time limit on that--- about 90 days maybe???

Is it worth the hassle? On a $25,000 Ultra, you'd save over $2000

(Thx 4 bein good sports)

Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

We got some guys at my country club that have been buying those huge motorhomes. The ones between 500,000 and 1,000,000 and they are getting a fake residence in Wyoming or Montana (I can't remember) and registering them there, to save sales tax on them. It's all done through the mail with a shikster lawyer up there. I would think that could be a federal crime using the mail and all. I hope they get caught.

Hey did I mention that Texas (the state that you hate) doesn't have any "Income Tax"?

Why don't you just give them a voucher for the taxes? That's what they are doing isn't it?

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 08-07-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Sales Tax-- friggin' HATING it...