Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing on 09 Ultra Tomorrow, Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Run don’t walk from this bandit; they start at MSRP+ and if you haggle real hard, they may come down to MSRP!

They won’t give you a price on the phone because they know that they are higher than everyone else!
I cant speek to that guy, I live in TN, I just found the site doing a quick search for 4.99%.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorralph
Any specific reason why not HD Credit?
I got quoted 10% higher interest with HD over my credit union.

Bringing your own financing is the same as cash to the dealer.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer isn't "dealing" quite like I would like for them to. We only managed 1K under MSRP, but adding on accessories brought it back to MSRP. Not quite what I had in mind. I was looking for 20K out the door at the most. One mitigating factor is that I live in the deep South and we can ride 365 (nearly) days a year, so there's not incentive for the dealers to get rid of stock before the "long winter" comes. I'm still looking.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a bike up north and road trip it back home. Easy solution

Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
txrancher47
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my bike on the west coast and received about 3K off of retail. I had it shipped to me in Texas fro 550.00 by Harley.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice would be to get the best deal you can and then make sure you have the following week or two off because all you'll want to do is ride the thing! Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

don't see why cash is better
Figure out what the difference between a cash purchase and a purchase on credit would be and you will see why it is better. A 7.9 % 5 year loan on a 20k loan amount costs the buyer well over 4k more over that time period.

I finance my car purchases only when they were willing to give me zero percent financing or a rate below one percent. Otherwise, it's cash.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pastorralph
3K off would be great! They already know me...

Old saying from my daddy who owned his own small business. Monday in the bank is better than a promise at the end of the month for a small business. Plus he had the unfortunate experience of some people running out on debts they owed him.

hey, no disrepect to your pops--- but I still don't get it--- the small business owner (i.e. the dealership) is not financing anything--- they get a check for payment in full---

of course, credit will cost you the finance charge--- hell, if I had the $25000 in cash laying around, yeah, sure, save the finance charge, but my credit union cuts me a pretty good rate, so I have no problem with that-

Last edited by papa_freeman; 08-18-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cash vs Credit

I've been in the financial services industry all my life, including some time spent financing vehicles...

A dealer "can" make more money on a credit/financed transaction, but only if you finance through one of their participating finance companies. There are 2 basic ways this happens.
  1. Some finance companies pay an "incentive" payout for any markup on the vehicle. For example, if you buy a car for $2000 above MSRP, a participating finance company will pay, for example, 4% of that markup back to the selling dealer. In this case, that would net them an additional $80 on this transaction. However, in today's market, this type of incentive is seldomly seen.
  2. This is a VERY common way of dealerships making more money... Say ABC Bank (a participating finance company) approves a buyer for a 6% interest rate. But the dealer tells you that you're approved for 9%. That is called rate markup, and the dealer keeps any money that results from that added markup.
So yes, credit can put more money in the dealership's pocket, but only if they use a finance company that participates in such tatics.

However, if you bring in your own financing (such as through a credit union), then it's the same as a cash deal to the dealership.

Now the caveat to this Cash vs Credit debate is that a cash deal is an easier sell. As someone mentioned earlier, it's not often now days that someone walks into a dealership with money in hand and is willing to spend it.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's the one you want, get it and enjoy the ride!