Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour Pack Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:05 PM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Detachable Tour Pack Rack

Ah man, they F you. I thought you were having problems with your docket kits. That is were I had the problems. Well here is a couple of pics of the bracket for the tour pak.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1452/3F76AEA1D3F7472A8A59AABF7D7D260B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1452/8771E7E7DE124A1FA47E2C30B5F52D7B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
k23rd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1998 FLHTCUI. What is the part number for the detachable tour pack?

Old 05-02-2005, 11:11 PM
LAF
Intermediate

I have a 05 Road Glide and put this on about 6 months or so ago. It was a pain for the docking hardware as it came with a ZILLION []pc's you did not need and as always HD directions suck![:@] I had found a site with step by step and will try to find the link again and post up. That said I had a detachable backrest that I had put on so half my work was done. I know the left side was a bear to get correctly positioned and two people would have been the best way to do it, even on my lift I could not get it lined up, only close. It took a pry bar and some grunt. The above mentioned site also warned of this.

The mounting of the bracket to the pac was cake once you figure out the pattern, nice sharp bit, backed with wood, and only fast enough to make it curl as you cut. It was great practice and when it came time to do the antenna relocation I was a pro

By the way, my detachable rack does not look anything like the picture posted so I will try to post a pic later.

Also on mine I needed to get longer pins for the bags, as the stock pins are not long enough.

It does work pretty smooth, on and off and it was worth the trouble.

Wish I would have thought of fitting it with the rack FIRST, then attached the pac. But inside work first as I have a carport only, so the rack got attached as weather permitted.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:50 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

LAF,

I have a detachable rider back rest on mine, and I'm going to add the detachable tour pack. (I have the EG Standard). Does it use the same docking points? If not, can you keep the dockin points for both? You said "half your work was already done..." Not sure what you meant, does that mean that it only uses one of the docking points on each side???

Inquiring minds want to know!

TNW, I would be interested in that link if you are able to come up with it.

Mac

Old 05-04-2005, 01:01 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Mac,

I think you can keep backrest docking points, but it is my understanding that the tour pac points are different. At least they have different part numbers, and they look different.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
deadbeat
1st Gear

this is not a bad deal. However, you will need to watch the spacing of the width. They give you a bunch of spacers and I had to do trial and error until the pac lined up. The dealer will help you with the right docking points. They are different than the backrest docking points, but I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Key- match the rack up before you mount it on the pac. It's heavy to maneuver otherwise.

A couple other points. On an Ultra (my ride) you might want to get a Dakota Digital antenna and tuck the original under the seat. I did this with the CB as well since I never used mine - although - a relocation kit would do the trick. Once done, then you only have one connector for the pack lights and one for each speaker if you have rears.

I also use a Mustang solo and BP so I can drop the pack at the destination easier.

This is a very nice upgrade for those times when you look at the bike and start feeling old.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:50 PM
LAF
Intermediate

On my Glide the front docking point for the pac, was the same as my detachable back rest. That is what I meant by half the work being done. And like I said there is a zillion spacers in the hardware you just have to eye it up and pick the correct one (ones).

Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 AM
JrDick
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too bought one and having a problem with install as the Dealer never gave me all the parts and plus give me some of the wrong parts for a different model. ARRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH I was all weekend swearing at the pack.

Jr.D

Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 AM
SCBGR
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through it on my 05 FLHT, I had to use spacers on the side bags after installing the tourpak i had chrome rubing on the side bag latch with the tourpak, The dealer gave me the wrong kit to begin with but after getting the right one it wasnt an issue. THe tour pak comes on and off like a dream but i have to kick and fight the detachable backrest.

Anyone intalled the new GPS mounting kit for touring models yet. Im picking one up tomorrow and wondering if anyone has done it yet ?????