Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV question

Installed PCV, Rinehart slip-ons, and SE air cleaner from Fuel Moto a few weeks ago and was wonering if I should also have the Stage 1 download from the dealer in addition to the PCV. Is it a good idea for a backup to the PCV in addition to raiseing the rev limmiter. I sometimes have a little poping on deceleration so I pulled the plugs and the center electrode looks a little tan but the grounding tip is white, or is this normal?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 AM
skydoc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the download...get it on a dyno - should be NO decel popping.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
rambler43
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Jamie at Fuel Moto he can help with the decel popping.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by woosh
Installed PCV, Rinehart slip-ons, and SE air cleaner from Fuel Moto a few weeks ago and was wonering if I should also have the Stage 1 download from the dealer in addition to the PCV. Is it a good idea for a backup to the PCV in addition to raiseing the rev limmiter. I sometimes have a little poping on deceleration so I pulled the plugs and the center electrode looks a little tan but the grounding tip is white, or is this normal?
The map you have installed in the PCV is based on a stock configuration, so if you install the download you'll need a map revision from Fuel Moto. Doing this will add absolutely nothing to the rideability or performance of the bike and would be a waste of money. Running the bike without the PCV will result in lean running similar to stock but will not hurt anything, but WOT performance and throttle response will be diminished.

Call FM about the decel pop. Simply changing the values in the 0% column either leaner or richer should fix it.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Because the Rinehart mufflers are a straight thru design with no sound insulation they can be very sensitive to decel popping. This is however very easy to take care of. I would start by checking for any slight leaks at the muffler joints and seal them if necessary. Then get the bike to operating temp and connect to the PC-V software and check the closed throttle position and make sure it reads 0% at idle. If it needs to be adjusted simply go to "calibrate throttle position" and looking at the voltage values type the "current" value into the "closed" throttle value. (Note: do not reset the throttle position, as you cannot set the openvalue on a DBW bike unless you are on a dyno and you will be calling me for the base values). If the throttle position is good I would recommend adding 10's in the 0% column of fuel maps 1 & 2 from 1750-5000 RPM's which should take care of it. If you need any assistance just give us a call, we are here to help and can walk you right thru it.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Chimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this exact setup and used the last suggestion from Jamie above re: adding fuel to the 0% column. I added 10s to my 0% column. That fixed all decel popping. Wanting to fine tune it, I then tried 5s. Most popping is still gone, with just an occasional issue. I'll try 7s or 8s next.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chimp
I have this exact setup and used the last suggestion from Jamie above re: adding fuel to the 0% column. I added 10s to my 0% column. That fixed all decel popping. Wanting to fine tune it, I then tried 5s. Most popping is still gone, with just an occasional issue. I'll try 7s or 8s next.

same here thats how you do it