Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about air pressure and rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 AM
praenomenpaul
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about air pressure and rear shocks

Hey all - new to the forum but it seems the place to get a good answer to what may be a stupid question...

Discovered the rear air shocks on my 90 electra glide were leaking pretty badly after a 2 hr ride yesterday so I called the local Harley dealer and picked up a set of take-offs that were never used. The fittings from my other shocks (Progressive) won't fit the take-offs but here's my question: can I just leave the brass plug in the shocks and run them that way until I can get new fittings? Thanks for any help...

Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the forum. Why dint the dealer replace them under warranty?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry. I read that as 09 instead of 90. Can't help ya, sorry.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 AM
praenomenpaul
Stage IV

Hi. I just picked up the bike from an individual earlier this week who said he'd been running the shocks with no air because it helped him reach the ground easier (a bit short for the bike). I called Progressive but I couldn't tell them how long the shocks had been on the bike. They told me that running the shocks with no air could ruin the seals and that 10 or so pounds should have been maintained in them. They also said that I could send them in for repair but I'm leaving tomorrow for another 2 hr ride back home and needed something now. I changed the shocks out but don't have the air lines running to them since the fittings didn't change over. It seems to be holding what air was in them though - I just can't say how much that is. Seems like it should be ok but I've never run with air shocks before. All of this is new to me so I've spent part of the day trying research everything...

Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

10# will get you by.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

i`m no pro, but i would think that if both shocks loose are fast, the air tubes are dry rotted from the age of the bike.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 AM
praenomenpaul
Stage IV

thx everyone for your replies. working a new problem now

Old 08-08-2009, 01:37 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

BE CAREFUL - Running those shocks with unknown air in them could be a bit problematic, Since you don't have the balanced fill-lines hooked up one of the shocks might have lots of air and the other very little or no air, I would suspect that could lead to unsafe riding.

Probably everything is ok, but be aware and have a safe journey back.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 PM
praenomenpaul
Stage IV
Default new problem

thx niteowl. still not made the journey though... replaced the battery (previous owner told me i'd need to and it died on me the day after the shock replacement) but now engine turns over but won't start. i know it has to be from 1 of the 3 following: spark, air, or fuel. the filter is way dirty - i took it off while trying to start. it's getting fuel - i can see it squirt as i give it gas. i just pulled off a plug and it looks great also. not sure where to go from here though... looking online since i don't have the service manual yet (ordered). gotta get it fixed today if at all possible. wonder if i should start a new thread about this... thx to all who have helped so far - this is a great forum!