Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Schedule - Engine Idle Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009 | 11:52 PM
NiteOwl
|
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Maintenance Schedule - Engine Idle Speed

Going through my 08 Touring manual there is reference to adjusting the engine idle, now please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that an EFI bike does not have an adjustment on it for the Engine Idle, yes/no?

Old 08-06-2009 | 11:59 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct - Electronic only.

That said - (sorry if you already know this, but it seems that some don't)...

If your idle is too high, turn the ignition on (don't start the bike) long enough for the radio to come on, then shut it off long enough for the "security flashers" to flash. Do that four times.

If you shut the engine off with the RPM's up, it will "stick" in the system. The above will reset it all.

I run into it every time I start the bike up and (for whatever reason) shut it off before it's warmed up and idling around 1k. But I understand the cure (a download at the dealer) is worse than the disease...

Old 08-07-2009 | 12:03 AM
NiteOwl
|
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks John, that idle reset was the first thing i had to learn with this ride, once I knew it though its fine. its a scary thing the first time it happens!

Old 08-07-2009 | 12:21 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I was in the U.P. (Michigan) after I'd had the bike for about a month and it was idling at a little over 2k. Talk about "coasting..."

I was about 100 miles from Northern Lights HD in Arbor Vitae WI and I called them up to see if I could bring it right in. They hooked me up to a service guy and he told me about it on the phone. The next day, I rode there for a t-shirt (I usually only buy shirts from places that have worked on my bike in one form or another).

I hear you though - I'd like mine to idle at 900 or so instead of the "factory" setting...