Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never understood and still can't explain it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
hondo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never understood and still can't explain it.

I have ridden 130,000+ miles on Hondas and BMWs across many parts of the grand old U.S. of A. I had a couple of touring bikes in there but mostly sport touring machines. No matter where I rode I always ran into Harley riders. Your attitudes were a little different than mine as you seemed to be in some special club or something though you didn't even know each other. I never understood.

In February I crossed over to the dark side and bought my first Harley, one of those 2009 God awful ugly Road Glides (which I drool over every time I ride her or just look at her in the garage). I have dropped a couple of thousand on extras and about to drop quite a bit more in having an S&S 106" Kit installed, adding a 2 into 1 D&D Fatcat Midnight Black BOSS, HogPro Primitive wheels, rotors and pully and I could go on and on.

Now when I am on a ride I feel the connection with the other Harley riders though I don't know them from Adam.

Funny thing is, I now feel the connection but I can't describe or explain it to a non Harley rider who asks.

What is this damn black magic?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it is hard to explain, and I was like you but I rode the Honday Goldwings. This is my first Harley but I new that I wanted one and it was time. As you can see I have spent a few dollars on mine and still purchasing parts here and there. Just don't know how to explain it but I am glad that I crossed over. Congrats on your new bike..............

Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

It's cause we're special

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm not sure how to describe the harley experience, other than you're now riding something has soul, the "cool factor", etc. something that the japs have been trying to imitate, unsucessfully for quite a while. a friend of mine described it to me that when you're riding a harley and get to the coffe shop, you'll always have someone who wants to visit. with a hong kong piece of whatever, not so much the case. through the years, that's been my observation anyway. your results may vary.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

I think it has something to do with the fact of how much our bikes meen to us.I havent met a HD owner yet that wasn't big time into his ride..Always Family first but ride is a close second!!!!...Maybe some are into their jobs also but job over HD....don't think so.. plus we all know we stick together...

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 4th Harley now and still trying to decipher the mystique. gonna keep trying (and buying) no matter how many it takes

Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes hard to explain to someone, but it's very real - a brotherhood amongst riders. I guess it has something to do with the rich history of the machine and it's roots. Harley-Davison is purely all-American and a true classic... One of a kind that has never been fully imitated by anyone who's tried. Harley-Davidson motorcycles came into this world when the horse and buggy were still the primary means of transportation. They have been in continuous business longer than any motor company of any kind anywhere in the world. To own and ride one is a thrill, a rush that cannot be equaled. When you cruise the open roads and feel the wind and the rumble of the motor you're just in heaven - an ear to ear smile and everything is right with the world...

All I can say is it's changed my life like nothing else has. To those who do not understand this I have no way to adequately explain it. But those who do know what I'm talking about - well they know precisely what I mean.

Welcome to the world of Harley-Davidson. Ride safe and congrats on your new bike!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
hdman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to explain it.... you wouldn't understand.... It has to do with Harley
Tradition...... and soul,......... You either got it or you aint..... nuff said..........
............hdman

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Computron
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3rd or 4th generation brotherhood. The Ford/Chevy battles of the 50's and 60's may be over, but the Hog lives.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Try explaining just riding a motorcycle to a non-bike rider. It just can't be explained.

Then take it up a notch and your at the Harley thing.

Quick Reply: Never understood and still can't explain it.