Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never understood and still can't explain it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Neil_Gros
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean.To me its like one big family.Hope to see ya on the road ride safe

Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,542 Likes on 5,081 Posts

Lets say you are at a hometown parade, along come about 20 Goldwings...people will say, "look at all the motorcycles", later in the parade, 20 HD's go by.....people say. "wow. look at all the Harleys"

Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I my self wave at all 2 wheeled motorized vehicles. I think the ones on mopeds need to be incouraged & some day they may have a Harley. I don't care if you are on a Honda & broken down, I will always stop to see if I can help.

Toby

Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
I hate to be the devil's advocate here, go ahead, flame on, but you all talk a good game in this post. So, I'm assuming you all won't pass a brother broken down on the side of the road, you'll give up lodging for a brother who needs a place to crash, you'll dig through your old parts to get a brother back on the road or in one case for me, a man took parts off his own bike to get me on the road to finish my trip, you'll feed a brother who is hungry, you get the picture, it's a long list. This whole brotherhood thing ain't just about having the tank badge that says Harley on it, it goes way deeper, which is where the original "If I have to explain .............." came from. Ok, I'm strapped in and have flame retardant underwear on, bring on the flames !!!
That's exactly my philosophy... I always stop to help a fellow rider, whether I'm on my own bike or in my truck. I do whatever I can to assist him/her to get back on the road or get help (tow truck, etc) on the way.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself, as others also stop to help a brother out but, find everytime i do stop they are fine or have made a call on their cell phone. It's not like the old days before cell phones, most everyone these days has a cell phone and can make a call if they are broke down.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
Nobody copped to all that crap, dude. Let it rest. In the first place, you aren't my brother. That whole family nonsense makes me wonder about people that say it. Second, I'm not paying your way.

Then you truly don't get it, It ain't about being a democrat and paying everyone elses' way. It's about being there for a fellow rider. No one said you have to let him sleep with your ol' lady, or blow him yourself, but if your bike was parked, and stores were closed would you give up a spark plug, or a cable or line to keep him from being stranded far from home? Give him a couple gallons of gas or a ride to a gas station? Let him use your cell phone?If not, your a selfish azzhole, and you should ride a goldwing or a crotch rocket, (which by the way, I would assist to), and I hope you never need help at any time, cuz you don't deserve it. But I'm sure you'd be saying "Thanks Bro" to the guy that went out of his way, even a little to help you in a sticky situation. In this day and age when most wont give a thought or a minute for anyone but themselves, it's about maybe inconveniencing yourself to help someone that is part of a group of like minded people.

(º-º) §(ºº)§ (_I_) (º-º) There's one in every crowd, apparently, in this case, it's you. So go ahead and flame away at me too, but I'll be there for my brothers and sisters that ride, just like they are here for me.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I've stopped to check on a rider many times. Only once there was a problem. Its common courtesy. WTF is this world coming to if you see somene in need and can't take a minute to help.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by hondo1
I have ridden 130,000+ miles on Hondas and BMWs across many parts of the grand old U.S. of A. I had a couple of touring bikes in there but mostly sport touring machines. No matter where I rode I always ran into Harley riders. Your attitudes were a little different than mine as you seemed to be in some special club or something though you didn't even know each other. I never understood.

In February I crossed over to the dark side and bought my first Harley, one of those 2009 God awful ugly Road Glides (which I drool over every time I ride her or just look at her in the garage). I have dropped a couple of thousand on extras and about to drop quite a bit more in having an S&S 106" Kit installed, adding a 2 into 1 D&D Fatcat Midnight Black BOSS, HogPro Primitive wheels, rotors and pully and I could go on and on.

Now when I am on a ride I feel the connection with the other Harley riders though I don't know them from Adam.

Funny thing is, I now feel the connection but I can't describe or explain it to a non Harley rider who asks.

What is this damn black magic?
Since you are the one that brought it up. For a bigger example. It is like when two brothers (black) see each other. They may not know each other but they greet each other like they are life long friends. Harley riders have something in common. Not as deep as the experience of being black. Please pardon me any black members. But, a common thread that runs back to 1903.

Last edited by OLD 96; 08-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The saying goes something like this:
"For those that understand, no explanation is necessary,,
for those who don't, no explanation is possible"........
My helmet sticker says:
"If I have to understand, don't bother to explain"........
so just ride and enjoy

Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first Harley, and it is hard to explain. I knew I always wanted one and what model I wanted (Ultra), and when the time came and the money was right I got the, IMO nicest bike I could find for the best price. I actually took my first big run this year, and really kind of felt that brotherhood with guys I didn't even know.

Quick Reply: Never understood and still can't explain it.