Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never understood and still can't explain it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performanceisthekey
Actually Mercedes-Benz is credited with the first marketed motorcycle, and Triumph is a couple of years before HD.
What's your point? Damn guys, there are some philosophers on this thread. Great job!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:11 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

My first Harley here too after riding imports for 30+ years. The Harley makes me feel like I'm 17 when I got my first big bike a CB750. Hard to explain like you said, but its so cool that people from 80 to 17 acknowledge a Harley not just riders, my imports never got that.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hondo1
I have ridden 130,000+ miles on Hondas and BMWs across many parts of the grand old U.S. of A. I had a couple of touring bikes in there but mostly sport touring machines. No matter where I rode I always ran into Harley riders. Your attitudes were a little different than mine as you seemed to be in some special club or something though you didn't even know each other. I never understood.

In February I crossed over to the dark side and bought my first Harley, one of those 2009 God awful ugly Road Glides (which I drool over every time I ride her or just look at her in the garage). I have dropped a couple of thousand on extras and about to drop quite a bit more in having an S&S 106" Kit installed, adding a 2 into 1 D&D Fatcat Midnight Black BOSS, HogPro Primitive wheels, rotors and pully and I could go on and on.

Now when I am on a ride I feel the connection with the other Harley riders though I don't know them from Adam.

Funny thing is, I now feel the connection but I can't describe or explain it to a non Harley rider who asks.

What is this damn black magic?
You're infected.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What's the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a Harley?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Welcome to the club, now send us some pics of your bike.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 AM
UltraDave
Road Captain

Welcome to the dark side as you put it. It is hard to explain. I've had my current bike for nearly 3 years and still get a big grin every time I thumb the starter and that big old V twin rumbles to life.

My wife has commented when looking at other bikes that a Harley just looks 'right'. Not sure how you explain that to someone.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Having crossed the line 45 years ago on my first Panhead I can only say, welcome to the family. What you are trying to find words for, is the bond this family has when you own a piece of AMERCAN history. There are no motorcycle companies that can talk about a 106 year history, you are riding history. Pick up a book about this ( don't be stingy pick up a big hard back) companies history and I guarantee the connection will become stronger. To know where you are going, you must first know where you have been.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Lot's of dissing of the jap bikes on this forum. My road star was a fine motorcycle. However, having said that, there certainly is something special about riding a Harley. My ultra is like no other bike I have ever ridden and I do enjoy the fellowship that is certainly unique to Harley. I also like going into the dealership and being treated as a valued customer instead of some no-name customer that they don't really seem to even want to know.

Also with the HD, we all seem to have a great commonality, even though there are so many models, there are only 3 basic engine configurations: big twin, sporty and vrod. So riders of different models still have a lot to talk about with their bikes. In the metric world, there are so many different makes and models that its almost rare to be in a group and find many others with your particular make and model.

Anyway, I won't be going back to the metric world in any future that I can see.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teqsand
There is a connection, historical, spiritual or what ever, we share something with all those who rode before us, a kinship passed on to each new HD rider, it's something that is just "understood" and never needs explaining and when each of us passes, our essence will be carried on in generations of new riders....

From riders like paul revere to the pony express riders to returning servicemen from the world wars...riding an HD is just uniquely American and we feel that history and pride.....

I've had hours long conversations about many topics with folks I just met on the road, all because we share that kinship...

Like it or not, you became family the day you got on your first HD.......

Rice burners will never know or understand this....thank god
AMEN BROTHER! It's all about the history. HD is an American icon. Nothing else even comes close to comparing to the mystique of the HD motorcycle.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Never understood and still can't explain it.