Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealership is a Ghost Town

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local dealer here seems to be doing well. Most of the 09s are gone, 10s are selling, lots of folks in the store.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I was just curious how the rest of the country is doing. My local dealership here in East Texas is a Ghost Town these past few weeks. There’s nobody buying bikes and very few even looking at bikes.

Of course my dealership is still an M.S.R.P Dealership, so maybe people are going somewhere else. But there is seldom anybody even in the store. It has been HOT here, over a 100 everyday since the first of June.

So how’s you part of the country ???????
The economic recession definitely is a regional phenomenon; all parts of the country are being affected differently. Although I’m a little surprised, I was under the impression that Texas was weathering downturn pretty well in comparison to the rest of the nation.

I wonder if this just isn’t a case of a stubborn old dealer not willing to adjust to discount marketing? If in fact this is the case; IMO, he/she deserves an empty show room!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
The economic recession definitely is a regional phenomenon; all parts of the country are being affected differently. Although I’m a little surprised, I was under the impression that Texas was weathering downturn pretty well in comparison to the rest of the nation.

I wonder if this just isn’t a case of a stubborn old dealer not willing to adjust to discount marketing? If in fact this is the case; IMO, he/she deserves an empty show room!
One difference here is that within 70 miles of my house here in Houston we have 10 dealers (Texan, Woodlands, Kingwood, Mancuso (2), Stubbs, San Jacinto, Goe, Republic, Independance) that have to compete with each other. Overall none of them really do much dealing on price unless you can force them into it. With year rounf riding weather they have enjoyed the huge market and have been slow to react to the downturn in the economy.

Republic has had plans in the works for a while now to build the newest "largest dealer in the world" facility but from what I hear that has been placed on indefinite hold.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM
hdblk2003
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 dealers here in the south burbs of chicago that are within 35 munutes of my house( chi-town ,Calumet,Crete and Land of Lincoln in Manteno) I have been to all fur this past week looking at tires.All of them had the 2010 models just after the dealers meeting.Calumet and Chi-town were DEAD.I mean they had alot of 2009 models left. Baggers CVOS you name it. H-D of Crete has the fewest 2009 models.
What struck me was that all of these dealers service dept ARE DEAD.You dont have to wait up two two weeks any more.
On my way to work I have to past Illinois harley in Berwyn Il. They have some 2009 models and alot of 2010 models on the floor.There service dept is backed up for the next week.
They also rent bikes and when I was there there where about 15 people from France that flew in to Chicago,rented baggers and they are riding to LA.The are trying to retrace rte 66 .Well whats left of it.There also was 5 guys from Swisserland there also doing the same thing
One thing I must same the french are VERY FREAKIN RUDE ! jay

Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM
valleybuck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The local dealer seems to have quite a few people in there on Sat.There are lot more new bikes left this at this time of year than in years past.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in rural Southern Illinois (6 hours South of Chicago). We have 4 dealers with in an hours drive of us. Black Diamond HD (5 miles from my home) is the #2 dealer in the country!! The largest town around us only has 15000 people (most have an average population of 9000). So it looks like if a dealer has great prices and great service they can still sell bikes.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just at my local dealer over the weekend. there was alot of people in the store but it was because they were having a 25% off one item sale. I asked the parts guy while I was purchasing my ONE item how biz was doing....he says its been dead. alot of 09's on the floor but not too many baggers on the floor. only one 10 on the floor and it was the CVO Softail Conv. which was sold. I had to ask to look at a new RGC which they had in back.....priced it to me for 21000.00 out the door minus sales tax. NOT! but this dealer has always been arrogant and won't deal. they act like if you walk in looking......you have the $$'s to spend. go figure!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well i can tell you its not gonna get any better.. were i used to work making h/d fuel line disconnects H/D cut them again for the monthly parts required and my wife is goinna be layed off for a week this month again and prolly next and on thru the 1st of the year . Its gouing to get a lot worse fore it gets better .....

Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer has no left over 09's and has sold every 2010 bike they have uncrated thus far.

They are a great dealership friendly and they make you feel like you are part of the family. They have been around for 40 years, so they must be doing something right. they started as a Mom & Pop shop and that is how it feels to this today. If ya go in and see them tell them Ralph sent ya.
http://www.stjoeharleydavidson.com/default.asp

A word or two of caution. They really know how to make you feel good about spending your money.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rscalzo
I doubt any dealer is going to tell a customer that business in lousy. I'd expect them to keep a positive outlook. after all, they are in sales.
The reason I believe him is when you buy a bike from them your picture goes on the wall and they were a bunch of pictures for last month. The place stays jam packed every weekend. BTW: When I bought my 09, he beat the price of the next closest dealer $2600 dollars! Maybe the reason he sells so many?

Quick Reply: Local dealership is a Ghost Town