Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealership is a Ghost Town

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by swestbrook60

MY dealer here in Houston says they are doing fine but you can tell the difference, there is hardly any customers there. If you walk in during the day on a weekday it's like a ghost town. I imagine they have been selling some lately as people have been waiting for the '10's to arrive, which they have. I remember when I would stop by for a part or something and would hear that bell ring at least once every time I was there, now I can't remember when the last time I heard it ring.

They also have plenty of '09s left and a couple 08's too. I even saw an '07 they were selling as used but it only had 40 miles on it. Most of the '10's I have seen on the floor have been CVO or the new Ultra Limited.

I also have noticed they have about 3 times the number of used bikes than they normally do. I assumed that perhaps in this economy people were selling off their garage queens.
Pretty much the same here. Only putting out some new and different the CVOs. My dealer has two new 09 Street Glides on the floor but they won't put out the two new 2010 Street Glides they have in the back. The only thing they put out was a 2010 Fat Boy because they never had any 09 hold overs.

The used bikes not selling is a bad sign. That to me means the people with money are trading in for the newest $20,000 toy, but the guy who is trying so save some money and trade up, isn't trading. I doubt the dealers are buying used bikes, unless they are repos.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rottnutz
The local dealer here is doing okay. Slower than I ever remember it though..
I'd agree. Shame is, the way it is now, they're running through salespeople like water... They can't make a living selling in this market. What a shame.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
les63
Tourer

Dealer here in Xenia Ohio is doing well I just got a 2009 RK on Saturday $16,900 + tax out the door, no freight or prep. Sunday they sold two RG's and another bike on monday. Was there yesterday getting my speedo R&R.
and the owners were taking delevery.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

Bear HD in Honesdale PA is doing great…
Packed every time I am there…. Then again, these guys always treated there customers second to none! I have yet to see any HD dealer in that level of commitment to the customer from buying to service to anything else…

Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JKs Ultra Classic
The dealer in Allen TX seems to be doing well...I know they received several 2010's...a Limited Ultra and CVO Ultra and both sold in two hours....however, they still have quite a few 2009's on the floor...
I was just in there the other day. They are flooded with 09s and have a ton of used bikes. They marked all the leftovers DOWN to MSRP+fees, from the crazy prices they try to rip people off with. I think the game is up on the the dealer in Allen and I dont see them making it through the winter.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

The ones around here are hanging in there. It's definitely slower than last year, but they are able to keep the doors open. Like what others are saying, not many 2010s to be found on the floor. You've got to ask about them and be pretty serious about them before they'll take you to the warehouse and show them to you.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our dealer here in So Cal seems to be busy. There are always alot of people milling around.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wbogley
.......................... They marked all the leftovers DOWN to MSRP+fees, from the crazy prices they try to rip people off with. I think the game is up on the the dealer in Allen and I dont see them making it through the winter.
MARKED THE LEFTOVERS DOWN TO MSRP plus fees ?????

Waaaaaaaa Hahahahahahahahahahahaha ..........................I guess they still think it's 2002, huh?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I just got back from a local dealer. One other customer in the showroom. But it is a weekday.

A few 10's's on the floor, maybe two or three. No prices but I didn't waste their time as they had nothing that interested me. Lots of 09's.

The only bike I gave a second look to was an off lease 07 Street Glide but at the asking price I walked.

I'll stop by a few other tomorrow. The two I've already checked are not known for dealing and I expect MSRP and freight I have no intention of paying inflated fees and prices in today's market. The quest goes on.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Ours in Reno is doing pretty well I think every time I am in the store there are a lot of folk in there. Not too bad considering there is a dealer in Carson City 30 miles away.

Quick Reply: Local dealership is a Ghost Town