Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealership is a Ghost Town

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
HDchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The store I go to here in NW Ohio seems to have a lot less foot traffic these days. Lots of scooters on the floor. This is an MSRP dealer + freight + a $249 !!!! doc fee.

Their service is very good, much better than the Toledo store, IMHO, and that brings some folks in.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Dealership in Lynchburg, VA seems to be keeping busy.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the dealerships in my neck of the woods seem to be staying pretty busy...I was up a Saux Prairie HD to weekends ago and the were busy.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

It seems to me that business is at least steady in Centeral Texas. The two local dealers have VERY few '09s, and have sold some '10s. I would say that they are doing good for the d@mn HOT summer we are having!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went in the dealer where I live yesterday, they don't have any 2010 models on the floor, are waiting until the room full of 09's are gone. Don't make sense to me, told me it would be at least 2 more weeks before they brought any 10's out. This is the same store that I have NEVER been able to get parts, everything HAS to be ordered. The Atlanta stores I've been in (St. Mtn. HD & Killer Creek) both have a lot of people looking.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

My dealer has some Sportsters and V rods on the floor, but that's it! All his 09 touring bikes and Softails are gone and all the 10's he's allocated through September are already sold! The only 10 I've seen is a Roadglide that was waiting on it's new owner. The store manager told me they had sold 50 in the last 3 weeks!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

The store manager told me they had sold 50 in the last 3 weeks!
I doubt any dealer is going to tell a customer that business in lousy. I'd expect them to keep a positive outlook. after all, they are in sales. I know some real estate sales people that are telling me the housing market is starting to really heat up. Yet two friends can't sell homes after several price reductions.

The dealer I've been checking has not customers both trips. After dealing with the sales manager, I can see why. As others have said, they add two hundred as a documentation fee for a title transfer. He also told me the extended warranty on an 08 he was pushing was only a few dollars. I passed.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
BM05FLHT
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
If they are on commission, that doesn't really mean anything.
They are probably two ex-car salesman, maybe not. I hope your store is doing well.
I have been in 2 of the three dealers here in KC and they seem to be selling right along, my salesman said he sold 3 last week, seems like it hasnt slowed much here in the midwest as some parts, not yet at least........

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
MNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ones in the twin cities area are doing just fine.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

MY dealer here in Houston says they are doing fine but you can tell the difference, there is hardly any customers there. If you walk in during the day on a weekday it's like a ghost town. I imagine they have been selling some lately as people have been waiting for the '10's to arrive, which they have. I remember when I would stop by for a part or something and would hear that bell ring at least once every time I was there, now I can't remember when the last time I heard it ring.

They also have plenty of '09s left and a couple 08's too. I even saw an '07 they were selling as used but it only had 40 miles on it. Most of the '10's I have seen on the floor have been CVO or the new Ultra Limited.

I also have noticed they have about 3 times the number of used bikes than they normally do. I assumed that perhaps in this economy people were selling off their garage queens.

Quick Reply: Local dealership is a Ghost Town