Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who still runs factory pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Motosurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: who still runs factory pipes

I run stock and my wife can hear me when I drive through the neighborhood, and in her opinion, the bike is loud enough. I understand the ramifications of what loud noise can do to our sport. I even put a quieter exhaust on my motocross bike, an FMF Q silencer and spark arrester. I have ridden bikes for 35 years and flew fighter jets for 20 years in the Navy. MCAS El Toro, a Marine fighter base, closed after political pressure and influenced by an average of 150 noise complaints a night while students practiced field carrier landing practice on the runways while I was based there as an instructor pilot. Motocross bike riders are influenced now by a noise ordinance in Riverside county that limits their ability to ride on private land! More cities now ticket riders for loud exhaust on both bikes and cars. I prefer to ride without hassle, and even if I choose to upgrade my exhaust, it will be for performance and still be reasonably quiet. Look at what is available for sport bikes, HP gains and still quiet. I think the more responsible exhaust manufactures for Harleys will eventually go in the quiet direction. And as for the argument of cagers hearing the pipes, I can never hear loud pipes due to my stereo playing and the improved soundproofing construction of new cars.

06 FXDBI

Old 06-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock looking..................

1 1/8" Hole Saw takes care of the rear baffle and they sound great and not too loud. Just right for all day riding. ANd no problem with the radio.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
jonah
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DanTMan

loud sound systems that are invariably used to play some hip-hop garbage that claims to be music. Excessive noise, in the eyes of these laws, whether the laws are right or wrong, is illegal.
You could've saved that remark for another forum!

If you can get past that I have a question. Are Thunder Headers concidered straight pipes?

Old 06-13-2006, 12:06 PM
jonah
Cruiser

!

Old 06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the pleasure of riding two bud's bike that have pipes verus my stock pipes. I will pass on the pipes, I like my radio too much. BTW, I'll be the 1st in line, when they come out with performance pipes w/o the loudness. I'm pleased w/ the stock sound.

Boy's saddle her up, it's time to RIDE

Old 06-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Against the "advice" of this forum I went with Bubs cross dresser dual kit and stock mufflers on my 06EG. I have not noticed any loss (or gain) in power. Sound comes out both mufflers, sounds nice. Even the stock muffs sound a little louder (deeper) with the duals but by no means loud. I think I will keep it this way.

Doug

Old 06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
2006streetglide2006
Cruiser

I really like the stock pipes.....I look at them every time I go in the attic.......and I always say to myself.....why don't I just throw them away!

Jon

Old 06-13-2006, 03:23 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock here. I do a lot of 400 to 600 mile days when touring and loud pipes would wear on me after awhile...also gotta have my tunes. If I find a pair of aftermarket pipes I really like, I'll probably put them on the bike with a different air cleaner and SERT. Until then, I'll be staying stock.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

Stock on my 06 Ultra
my cousin has '95 Ultra w/SE pipes
Sounds Great just not all day" his words" I agree

Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Moosemeat
Advanced

My '06 FLTRI runs like a three dollar watch. I don't see any reason to change anything. My pipes are plenty loud- I certainly would not confuse my Glide with a sewing machine. I can hear the pipes just fine and I can hear the stereo, too. Seems like I read a lot of threads that start like this: "I just installed the Stage 1 wiith Whappsani pipes and a Leering Beagle air cleaner and I am getting popping on decel, farting on accel, and 17 MPG. Is this normal or do I need to install a Wowee Commando?"

I'd rather spend my money on gas and goodies that make it easier to ride 500 miles a day.

Quick Reply: who still runs factory pipes