Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who still runs factory pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Vetter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: who still runs factory pipes

Stock on mine. Drilled down the center, and around both the front and rear baffle, I really like the custom sound now.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:25 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

I have Screaming Eagle slip-on mufflers on my SG but that was about performance as much as sound. I didn't want loud pipes. I've done the Bub thing. Had them on my V-St*r and had to wear ear plugs all the time. With the SG, I wanted a deeper tone, better flow (also have Stage 1 and SERT) but still be able to hear music. The SE slip-ons do that. Living in California with our lean gas mixture, changing out the stock pipes and filter is almost a necessity.

Adam

Old 05-31-2006, 01:44 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: adamzapple

I have Screaming Eagle slip-on mufflers on my SG but that was about performance as much as sound. I didn't want loud pipes. I've done the Bub thing. Had them on my V-St*r and had to wear ear plugs all the time. With the SG, I wanted a deeper tone, better flow (also have Stage 1 and SERT) but still be able to hear music. The SE slip-ons do that. Living in California with our lean gas mixture, changing out the stock pipes and filter is almost a necessity.

Adam
AND YOUR NOT HASSLED ABOUT THE EPA REG.IN CALIFORNIA?

Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

Jeff,

Well, all Screaming Eagle products come with the "not legal for street riding" warning but the MoCo (and, fortunately, the cops) seem to ignore that. It was the dealer that installed them. I did keep my stock mufflers just in case.

Adam

Old 06-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

Mine is stock and unless something happens will stay that way. I do a lot of touring and I like the quiet. My last bagger had Rhineharts. They were ok, but I enjoy not having my ears ring after a 500 mile day.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:29 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've ridden with stock pipes and exhausts on all my bikes since I got my first Honda 305 Superhawk in the late '60s. That was followed by a Yamaha, a BSA, two Triumphs, a Norton, and for the past 25 years, by a variety of Harleys. The only exception was a Triumph that I chopped when I was about 22 years old. I put "TT" pipes on it that came down under the frame into "shorty" mufflers (which didn't really "muffle" anything).

Even though I'm a 32 Cop, I've always thought that exhaust is a matter of choice, and I've never written anyone a ticket for loud exhaust. I do, however, find it hard to believe that some guys get incensed when they get a ticket for running completely straight pipes. We've got Cops in our department that run straight pipes, and if they get a ticket somewhere, they're stuck with it. (and one has gotten one)

Many states have restrictive laws on noise, which apply to vehicles and loud sound systems that are invariably used to play some hip-hop garbage that claims to be music. Excessive noise, in the eyes of these laws, whether the laws are right or wrong, is illegal.

I ride an '06 FLHTCI, my fourth Electra Glide, and they've all had stock pipes and exhaust, for what I personally feel are two good reasons. First, I live in a neighborhood with a lot of elderly folks and would hate to disturb them. Second, I'm 57 years old and don't have a need for noise (or increased speed, for that matter). Besides, I figure that H-D is paying some engineer about a gazillion dollars to design an exhaust system to work with the engine, so I don't feel the need to modify it.

Not to open a can of worms, but this issue is very similar to helmets. I choose to wear one, and have worn a helmet since I started riding over 42 years ago. And yet, the same knuckleheads who rant and rave about their own "freedom of choice" to not wear helmets sometimes won't even acknowledge me when I wave to them because I'm wearing one. Talk about hypocrisy! And this coming from some guys who weren't even a gleam in their father's eyes when I started riding motorcycles.

If somebody wants to ride with a louder exhaust, God Bless Them. If somebody wants to ride with straight pipes, God Bless Them too, but they shouldn't beef when they get a ticket or when one of their neighbors complain.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
mnblaster
Advanced

I'm one of the 11, I'll keep the stock pipes.

'06 RKC

Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Jesterphatt
Advanced

well I am certainly one of the 11.. and by this count #12

Dont have a problem right now, could take that ~$1000 and spend on a custom paint scheme... new rims, lower cowling...

make a difference other than cost and hassles of new pipes, air cleaner, sert/pcIII and so on... maybe when I have a few of those other accessories

keep on keeping on

Old 06-13-2006, 06:32 AM
krgs2k
Cruiser

I like the sound and style of my stock 06 FLTRI pipes I think I will keep them.

Quick Reply: who still runs factory pipes