Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system on a bike worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
LMM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came with it - I love it for the convenience factor. Could care less about the bike being stolen - that's what my insurance is for.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid around $325 for the ThunderPager system. They now market the Scorpio system. I've had it for eight years and have only had a couple of inexpensive perimeter sensors replaced since sensors aren't immune to vibration over time. Compared to the HD systems, it was less expensive, offered more features, better components, and best of all, is easily user installed and maintained. No fob issues or appointments at the HD dealer! Waterproof matchbox-sized components, plug-n-play installation, 6-tone siren, silent/pager functions, and great customer service. I'd buy their system again in a heartbeat! Friends have purchased the Scorpio system and they're very happy with it also.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Daggers
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FEAR!

The insurance industry thrives on it, the bike industry feeds it - they both earn shedloads from it.

I love the simplicity of use but had my '08 not come with it installed I'd not be bothering. I've always used two disklocks and two chains to stop the buggers walking off with my past bikes - now it's overkill.

If the gentlemen who drive vans more than they ride bikes want my Ultra - there's next to ****-all I can do to keep it on my drive. Funny how respect is a one-way street.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LMM
Mine came with it - I love it for the convenience factor. Could care less about the bike being stolen - that's what my insurance is for.
We're not wealthy by any means ...so considering a full replacement for a stolen bike would hike up our insurance buttloads ... not to mention how sentimentally we're attached to our bikes, and how pumped we get when we are on a road trip ... To us, it would be devistating to lose any one of 'em .... THAT's not what I consider MY insurance is "FOR". Insurance coverage can not replace what we have invested in them.

Therefore, speaking for myself ... I, for one care ... and lots!

Last edited by bikergirl40; 08-06-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM
xswampman
Stage IV
Default Does it have to be HD?

I have been looking on the internet at a InterNatrix alarm. It comes with a pager and a siren and their is instructions on how to install in on their web site. This alarm sells for $159.00. Does anyone know about this alarm? Their customer service is very fast to reply to any questions.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:12 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I like having the convenience of getting off the bike and walking into a store and not worring about it. If I decide I want a siren, think I will get the Radio Shack one. The system is basically a plug and play and can be added by the dealer.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:59 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

If I'm on the Road, I use the Rotor Lok on mine along with the security sytem that came with it. Most people don't even look anymore when a siren or car alarm goes off. Best thing to have is really good insurance.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:00 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry, I meant disk lok

Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not have a security system on my bike. Have 44k miles, and been all over the US, many many nights in hotels and I sleeep just fine. Probably have close to 300,000 miles on bikes, and the only one ever stolen was a brand new Honda 450 I bought in 1973. Go figure.

I have good insurance, actual value coverage which is a bit more, but if the bike walks, I'll just go buy another without losing a dime.

I did have 2003 RKC that came with the alarm and the damn ECM decided to throw a fit in Sturgis and I could not get the bike started, had to have the dealer come and get it.

All depends on how paranoid you are. I dont have alarms on my cars either, but have the best protection for the house, a 12 gauge and 9mm.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pastorralph
If you're only getting the minimum security system on an 09, is it worth the money? I understand having the siren is great, but if you're only getting the basic system, is it worth getting or are you just as well getting one without security? What do most of y'all have? Thanks in advance. And before somebody jumps in, I know, I know, a 20K bike and I'm worrying about 300.00? It's a matter of availability at my dealer.
Personally, I think it is but you'll have to figure that out for yourself. I had them add the siren and pager system. The siren is Ok but could be louder. I've used the pager system a number of times but never had it go off when I'm away from the bike which is a good thing.

I like having the key fob and knowing it's not just going to start because someone walks up and turns the ignition switch. The bottom line is that if they want it, they'll take it regardless. I'm still glad I've got it!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: Security system on a bike worth the money?