Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system on a bike worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pastorralph
If you're only getting the minimum security system on an 09, is it worth the money? I understand having the siren is great, but if you're only getting the basic system, is it worth getting or are you just as well getting one without security? What do most of y'all have? Thanks in advance. And before somebody jumps in, I know, I know, a 20K bike and I'm worrying about 300.00? It's a matter of availability at my dealer.

What I like about it is the that I keep the key FOB in my pocket. If I forget to lock the ignition and handelbars, no one can jump on it and take off. Or enen on ride, stop to run in store to get a refreshment you do no tneed to go thru the lock up procedures.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It just makes me feel better. I have added the smart siren (about $65.00) and keep it on 'audible' all of the time. I'm thinking you can add the factory alarm after the fact...but check the P+A Catalog.

BTW...when you're wrenching on your bike DO NOT forget to disable the siren! Don't ask me how I know...

Good luck!

Steve

Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI: You can get a GuardDog unit for around $80. Its a proximity set so you don't have to push the key fob button or anything. Cheap and effective. Just because you spent $20K on a bike don't feel guilty about being smart with your money. Spending the big bucks isn't always the smart thing to do.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
What I like about it is the that I keep the key FOB in my pocket. If I forget to lock the ignition and handelbars, no one can jump on it and take off. Or enen on ride, stop to run in store to get a refreshment you do no tneed to go thru the lock up procedures.
This is what I was trying to say. During the day you can just hop off and go in someplace and not have to lock everything down, just to keep somebody from riding off on it.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

So I guess what you're all saying, if you were me, if you can deal on a bike with security and ABS, do it. There's another bike with ABS, but it doesn't have security.
Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Yes that is what we are saying, "Get the one with security".
Hahaha. Thank you. I yield the rest of my time to the gentleman from Texas.
Thank you, thank you.
But you will have to ask another question, I'm all out of fresh smart **** remarks on this one. LOL

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's well worth the piece of mind to me. Once you get it, put a siren on it as well. Either the HD one, or there's a ton on here that have put the Radio Shack sirens on for cheap $$.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're only getting the minimum security system on an 09, is it worth the money? I understand having the siren is great, but if you're only getting the basic system, is it worth getting or are you just as well getting one without security? What do most of y'all have? Thanks in advance. And before somebody jumps in, I know, I know, a 20K bike and I'm worrying about 300.00? It's a matter of availability at my dealer.
No, its not worth the $. BUT if you want security, go ahead keep it and have the siren installed, BUT Then, the siren is in a stupid place which is way to easy to access, sigh, it was a better location on the Softails, I was actually stunned when I saw where it gets located on my SG, obviously no thought went into it and is my only complaint about this bike! I actually fitted a strap around the siren to slow down a thief from just yanking it out in under 5 seconds.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 AM
greggg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my 08,dealer install.I love it,never lock bike just have to remember fob.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

So I guess what you're all saying, if you were me, if you can deal on a bike with security and ABS, do it. There's another bike with ABS, but it doesn't have security.
Well, all bikes seem to come from factory with the security system, or so I understand. I would say no to the security, its not likely they would bother removing it. Same thing happen for my car, it was there, I said no and I got it anyway, really it should be part of the package, so should the siren.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
BillinNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
It's worth it to me. Just not having to mess with the keys every time I get off the bike and go in somewhere.
BINGO! After much deliberation, I didn't order the security system on my '08 EGS. Within two months I installed the basic system for just the reason stated above. Metrics need a key to start the engine, HD needs a key to lock the ingition. Every time I stopped on the road I had to dig the key out of my pocket and lock the ignition, then unlock it when I returned, a major PITA for me. I since added the siren and pager as I do more overnight travel.

-Bill-

Last edited by BillinNY; 08-06-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Security system on a bike worth the money?