Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system on a bike worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
dbird
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This discount not offered in Georgia by Progressive Ins.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM
hdblk2003
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have geico in Illinois.When i bought my ultra in July2008 my ins was 708 dollars a year .When I got my bill in june of this year it was 412 dollars.I thought this was for 6 months are something so i called them and they said it was for a year.There have been no motorcycle deaths,thefts or accidents in my zipcode and there is new data by a insurance institute that shows the new h-d security systems had dercreased thefts in Illinois.....jay

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine came with the security system and ABS...and I wanted both. It's just a piece of mind thing I guess. I bought the siren and installed that in about 5 minutes.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody got pics of this siren installation?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM
SlowRain
Road Master

Do a search here...I believe someone has it documented with pictures. Note that when I read the directions, it was trying to tell me I had to mount the unit on the right side of the bike...this is crap. On an 09 it is different. All you do is pull your left saddlebag, pull the side panel covering the fuse box. There is a space and clip just in front of the fuse box that the unit slips into. Takes a bit of effort to get it to click in...and made a bit easier by the use of a little silicone lub. The lead plugged into a blank plug is removed and plugged into the siren module.

If you bought the system that has an antenna lead to communicate with the pager system, you will have to run the included velcro along the frame under the seat...directions for that are in there.

Be sure you disable the security system before you do the install.

Last edited by SlowRain; 08-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just done a search and couldn't find pics. Found some old busted links, but no pics. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's worth it to me. Just not having to mess with the keys every time I get off the bike and go in somewhere.

My buddy (with another Street Glide) is always asking me "Are you going to lock your bike?". I just kinda laugh to myself and say "Naw, I got security. They aren't going to ride off on mine. Maybe yours, but not mine". Someday he'll quit asking. LOL

I know they can steel any bike, but without security all they have to do is turn the switch, start it up and ride off.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
SlowRain
Road Master

Opps...sorry....here is what you are looking for...on another HD forum. (I did not disconnect the battery...just disabled the security system, installed and reset the system.) I don't remember if the system comes default as no chirps when it arms, or chirps when it arms...but the directions to change the setting are in the instructions.

http://www.hdtalking.com/alarms_and_...tallation.html

Last edited by SlowRain; 08-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorralph
Anybody got pics of this siren installation?
I did the Radio Shack install on my last bike and it was ok but not nearly as loud as the HD siren. but it worked fine.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

The HD security worth it - YES. Mine was not factory installed but the dealer put it on with siren. It is really just a plug and play unit--they have to initialize it tho. Also got a discount from my Progressive Insurance Company in VA.

Quick Reply: Security system on a bike worth the money?