Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle crash-How long before you rode again

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
charrell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle crash-How long before you rode again

Took a pretty nasty spill with my 09 Ultra. Wasn't wearing a helmet and probably going 65-70. Had the high speed wobble that i have seen or heard about on the forum. Got away with a lot of road rash and a few staples in the head. Nothing permanent that I know of.

I am wondering who has had a pretty bad accident and how long it took you to get back in the saddle.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Javawave
Tourer

Totaled a bike many years ago while riding in the spring and hit a patch of ice while leaning in a turn. I rode again when the bike got replaced.. maybe 10 days. but 25 years later I still get cautious when making a hard turn in bad weather or pavement that has loose material on it. Not a ride goes by that I do not think about it.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I had to get up, pick up the pieces of my bike that were scattered on the road, pick the bike up and push it until the front tire was against a utility pole so I could straighten the handlebars so I guess it took me 3 to 5 minutes to get back on and ride home.

My injuries weren't as bad as yours though.

Dennis

Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Originally Posted by charrell
Took a pretty nasty spill with my 09 Ultra. Wasn't wearing a helmet and probably going 65-70. Had the high speed wobble that i have seen or heard about on the forum. Got away with a lot of road rash and a few staples in the head. Nothing permanent that I know of.

I am wondering who has had a pretty bad accident and how long it took you to get back in the saddle.
Last time for me was three years, but that was due to finances--totaled the bike and had liability only insurance (it was a POS Honda). Started saving for a new bike almost immediately.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No helmet.......dang you are lucky.....

It took me about a month, but that's only because I was waiting for my bike repairs. Then for the next 6 months, I was a very, very, timid rider. Now two years later, I'm pretty much ***** out again.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
mja51
Advanced

crashed in october, two broken arms,ankle, multiple broken ribs doc said he stopped counting at 10, punctured lung. Hospital stay 2 weeks. Bought new bike in march 09'riding soon after

Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went down from a deer collision. Had a guy help me get the bike out of the woods. Pushed the crash guard, brake lever, etc into a position I could ride and I was homeward bound.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

I totaled my 2000 Ultra in Aug of 2006 coming home from Sturgis. Spent a week in hospital couple days in ICU. I was going 75mph on I-70 in Ohio. Hit a rock and locked up the front wheel went down. No helmet... Broken nose, skull fracture, bruised brain, road rash etc... I ordered my Road Glide about a week after I got out of the hospital. It took till November for the bike to come in but I rode my dad's bike about 3-4 weeks out of the hospital.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

my crash wasn't nearly as bad as yours, i was only really going about 35 or so by the time i actually went down, but i had to ride it home. Waited a few minutes for the adrenaline surge to calm and the heart rate to get in check, then back on the freeway

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great question...

The thing that freaks me out is just what you noted... Cruising down the road on WHAT SHOULD BE A WOBBLE-FREE BIKE (there goes my motivation to upgrade to an 09) and getting thrown off in a solo-accident. I don't know why, but I've been obsessed with the feeling that at some point my front end is just going to "fail" somehow. In my case, taking my bike into the dealer actually revealed that there were a number of pre-10K mile check things that needed to be tightened... This didn't help alleviate my paranoia...

Perhaps this apprehension is what keeps us all sharp. I've heard (and stated) a number of times that we are invisible. That certainly helps in my perspective of getting side-swiped or left-turned by a car, but it doesn't do anything for the solo-wobble issue that you're talking about - that one screws with my mellon more than anything...

Quick Reply: Motorcycle crash-How long before you rode again