Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle crash-How long before you rode again

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrecked my 99 and i was back on it as soon as the road rash healed and everything else moved like it was supposed to. It took me 6 months to rebuild my bike but a buddy loaned me his heritage and i was riding in about 3 weeks.....still at time i am a little timid but i ride everyday.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I started riding a couple weeks after a left-turn accident in the early 80s. I was nervous and didn't feel safe, so I parked the bike for the remainder of the season and didn't ride again until the following year.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my wreck I stayed off the street for about three years. I still rode my dirt bike because somehow that seemed safer. When I did decide to take to the street again I bought a Harley instead of another Sport Bike.

In a way it was a good thing because I do enjoy riding more now than I ever have.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot a deer 5 or 6 years ago...dislocated the shoulder...called buddies who came out with a trailer, straightened the bars and started the bike then called me a ***** so I rode it home, cleaned it and did 200 miles the next day...by the way, every so often I see the deer in my mind as I am riding...

Last edited by cowboy1; 08-05-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat
This is a great question...

The thing that freaks me out is just what you noted... Cruising down the road on WHAT SHOULD BE A WOBBLE-FREE BIKE (there goes my motivation to upgrade to an 09) and getting thrown off in a solo-accident. I don't know why, but I've been obsessed with the feeling that at some point my front end is just going to "fail" somehow. In my case, taking my bike into the dealer actually revealed that there were a number of pre-10K mile check things that needed to be tightened... This didn't help alleviate my paranoia...

Perhaps this apprehension is what keeps us all sharp. I've heard (and stated) a number of times that we are invisible. That certainly helps in my perspective of getting side-swiped or left-turned by a car, but it doesn't do anything for the solo-wobble issue that you're talking about - that one screws with my mellon more than anything...
Not to add to your paranoia but the solo wobble thing can happen to anyone, anywhere, on ANY bike. It's kinda a two wheels thing. Heck, I've seen it happen to a guy going down hill on a bicycle! I've experienced it going straight down the road - on my sport bike. Obviously removing the factors that play into how often it happens is good - and easy. The most obvious one being slow down in long sweepers or just slow the heck down period.

On my scale of "fear" the solo wobble is pretty low on the list considering the kinda bikes we have - big, heavy, slowishy. They are just not the kinda bike where you see it time and time again unlike say when you're doing 100, pushing your luck on a sportbike. Anyhow my Number 1 fear is the left turn in front of me while i'm minding my own business thing. Or the car coming out of a side street without stopping and me T-boning it thing. Those along with circus clowns scare the hell out of me...

lp

Last edited by lp; 08-05-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I crashed my 'lectra glide on a friday night. I was riding my buds Dyna Wide Glide Sunday.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i went down, not as bad as you...glad yr ok.

i road the bike home, bent bars, fuked up shifter, not tail light, kinda of a hard ride. after i got it home i stayed parked.

i do my own work on my bike so it was down as long as it took me to fix it, then i was riddin again

Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

I have bit the dust many times at 45+ mph and rode off (mostly in the dirt). I have also been ran over by a car 3 times (once by my own mother!).

However, none of that compares to the day I got in a fight with a MAC truck on my motorcycle (lost of course). I broke a lot of stuff (both hands, wrist, rib) had a blood clot in my shins, the impact split my full face helmet right down the center and I had to wear a neck brace for a while (not too long though) and a back brace for 8 months. All of that was actually not too bad but the worst part was the end of the handlebar decided it wanted to find out what it looked like beyond my nut sack. hehe gives a new meaning to the word "blue *****" - literally. I remember it feeling for months like someone was using my nuts as a voodoo doll jabbing it with a needle every time the blood pumped - needless to say it hurt.

It took me 20 years to have the urge to ride again. Even then, I was extremely anxious of everyone on the road suspecting they wanted to kill me. That just took time in the saddle to overcome. I still get anxious when I am coming to an intersection and the traffic is set up similar to when I had my big hurting.

So...after the gorey story, my advice would be if you have the urge to ride, go for it..nothing is going to increase your comfort level except time in the saddle again where you start to "meld" with the roads again and feel comfy. The more you ride, the better you will feel and the more fun it will be! It just takes time.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It took me about 3 months to get back on the bike, about 2 of which were recovering from my ruptured speen, the last month was getting the bike finally repaired. I spent 5 days in the ICU with internal bleeding. Worst pain I ever felt.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
tuna1
Advanced

Hit a deer last June and was riding again by the end of August. Collarbone broken in 4 places, nine broken ribs, lacerated liver, and a little road rash. Wife had a broken fibula. We were both wearing helmets or it could of been a lot worse. Got a nice ride to the Hospital in a helicopter.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle crash-How long before you rode again