Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King exhaust - one pipe darker than the other

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Road King exhaust - one pipe darker than the other

This is my first Road King, had a Fatboy & Nighttrain before, which are both Softtails and had 2 into 2 exhausts..... Anyway, I'm on my 3rd. exhaust on this bike and this set has actually been on there long enough for me to notice that, the right side pipe is starting to get darker/dirtier on the inside. The left pipe still looks brand new.

I put my hand near the openings while the bike was idling and noticed the right pipe pushes a lot more air than the left.

Is this normal?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:31 PM
jack49
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
This is my first Road King, had a Fatboy & Nighttrain before, which are both Softtails and had 2 into 2 exhausts..... Anyway, I'm on my 3rd. exhaust on this bike and this set has actually been on there long enough for me to notice that, the right side pipe is starting to get darker/dirtier on the inside. The left pipe still looks brand new.

I put my hand near the openings while the bike was idling and noticed the right pipe pushes a lot more air than the left.

Is this normal?
Ya it's normal,the left muffler is there pretty much just for looks.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
mhenning
Advanced

Yep that's normal. Mines the same way. Can't remember the reason behind it, Some thing like a 2 into 1 exhaust. I'm sure someone else can discripe it better.
Mark

Old 08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's because of the factory crossover pipe. One of the reasons I switched to true duals.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure. Thanks guys!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that's the nature of the beast. the factory headers are more of a 2 into 1 system actually, if you look at the split of the rear header after it leaves the cylinder head, most of the flow of exhaust gas goes to the right side muffler, therefore the right muffler will exhibit a lot more pressure to your palm while idling.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM
dmarkturner
Intermediate

In looking at my 2010 Road King, it's the left pipe that is darker...anyone have any ideas as to why? Bike runs great.

Mark

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah... I had my bike dyno tuned with a pc5 after installing woods 555 cams and the tuner couldnt get the bike to stop popping. he ended up capping off the left pipe with and drilling a 5/16 hole for flow??? anyhow it lost 4 ftlb tq and 3 hp but yeah so it really doesnt really mean THAT much

Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dmarkturner
In looking at my 2010 Road King, it's the left pipe that is darker...anyone have any ideas as to why? Bike runs great.

Mark
Are you running true duals? If so check your plugs and see what they look like. If your not running duals I'm not sure why your left pipe is darker than the right, normally the other way around because the front gets cooler more or something like that?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Al47

Is this normal?
Yeah it is, the path of least resistance will be the right pipe. The left one has to make an abrupt turn. Don't worry about it its all good.

Quick Reply: Road King exhaust - one pipe darker than the other