Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006 | 03:29 PM
StreetGlider56
|
Road Warrior
Default What to do?

I reasontly bought a 2004 EG Standard, 4200 miles. My wife suggested I should buy a new or at least an 05 Ultra.
Well I didn't know what the expense of upgrading the motorcycle was, now I am freaking out, 400 for this 500 for that maaan.
I have put aboit 850 miles on the standard since I bought it, I was in Mancuso HD yesterday and there sat an 06 black Street Glide.
BEAUTIFUL MOTORCYCLE, All the chrome upgrades the black motor whitch makes the chrome just POP.

Altho there was a EG U Clasic there also, Man was that a sight. (do ther have something in the air when you walk in a dealership
that makes everything look awesome)

My question is, Do you buy a stendard because it's just a start at an original build? Or do you really save in the long run building
your own classic.

BTW this is my first HD and I just love the Motorcycle.

I refer a HD as a MOTORCYCLE My dad had 8 Harleys from the time I was 4, and he got upset if you called it a BIKE.

Should I go Ultra? What kind of hit do you thing I'll take on a trade out?

I paid a large down to get the payments down, but I think I should have gome Ultra.

Old 05-28-2006 | 03:35 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Default RE: What to do?

Love my Ultra! Would do it again. But there's lots of goodies to add even to this!

My daddy always said, "You'll never be disappointed if you buy the best"

Old 05-28-2006 | 03:38 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

You will always get less for your HD if you trade it in. They have to turn a profit or its not worth it to them. If you can sell it outright I would do that. As for which HD you should buy, only you can really decide that. If you turn an EG into an Ultra then why not just buy the Ultra since that is what you really want anyways. I really don't think you will save that much money turning a EG into an Ultra. If you really want the Ultra then get that and go from there.

Old 05-28-2006 | 04:42 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

You know which bike you REALLY want, buy it, enjoy it and don't look back. Streetglide styling appealed to me, no regrets here!

Old 05-28-2006 | 05:06 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Richard

(do ther have something in the air when you walk in a dealership
It's the special lighting.

Old 05-28-2006 | 05:30 PM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member

I had been thinking of a bagger for years. I had it all figured out. I was gonna buy a baseline electra-glide, chop the windshield. Clean up all the clunky chrome on the front fender and bags. Put on a sweet looking license plate holder. Trim that huge tail light bar down, Remove the driving lights and just generally get a minimalistic, sleek look. I went to the harley website to check out the suggested retail prices for the bikes and BAM [sm=drooldude.gif], there sat my baby. I ordered the StreetGlide and never looked back. I may have saved some money, since I wanted to take more stuff off than I wanted to put on, but it was a good feeling to know that I had what I wanted. If you find a motorcycle that is exactly what you want, get it. But if you are like the majority of us, you will always want to do something different. That is half the fun. When I am not riding my bike, I am dreaming about what I want to do to it next.

Old 05-28-2006 | 06:56 PM
StreetGlider56
|
Road Warrior

Bountyhunter, That's one nice looking Motorcycle...

Can't wait till I can get my T-Rex True Duals.

Looking good...

Old 05-28-2006 | 07:26 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Richard

I reasontly bought a 2004 EG Standard, 4200 miles. My wife suggested I should buy a new or at least an 05 Ultra.
Well I didn't know what the expense of upgrading the motorcycle was, now I am freaking out, 400 for this 500 for that maaan.
I have put aboit 850 miles on the standard since I bought it, I was in Mancuso HD yesterday and there sat an 06 black Street Glide.
BEAUTIFUL MOTORCYCLE, All the chrome upgrades the black motor whitch makes the chrome just POP.

Altho there was a EG U Clasic there also, Man was that a sight. (do ther have something in the air when you walk in a dealership

My question is, Do you buy a stendard because it's just a start at an original build? Or do you really save in the long run building
your own classic.

BTW this is my first HD and I just love the Motorcycle.

I refer a HD as a MOTORCYCLE My dad had 8 Harleys from the time I was 4, and he got upset if you called it a BIKE.

Should I go Ultra? What kind of hit do you thing I'll take on a trade out?

I paid a large down to get the payments down, but I think I should have gome Ultra.
i'ed check out a roadglide too !!

weet ..........

Old 05-28-2006 | 10:27 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Well here's my 2 cents on the subject. I have a friend that bought a Standard EG. Put the chrome engine kit on it, and loaded it up with a ton of accessories. He put t he pencil to it and found that he would have been better off buying the FLHTCI and taking the tour pak off for a clean look. Harley offers the standard bikes as a blank slate so a customer can take his time with the accessories as he has the money. And the money adds up....fast.
Take a hard look at what you two ultimately want in your bike.........if the intercom is really important to you, go for the FLHTCUI. If not, then decide between the FLHTCI and the Roadglide...........if the black engine and tourpak is important to you, then buy the FLHTCUI.
BTW, Electra glide Standards sell pretty fast around here...........I don't think you'd have to wait too long before you sold it yourself. And now you have some time to decide before the new '07 models come out in August. And there might be a 6 speed tranny on the new touring models.

Old 05-28-2006 | 11:51 PM
msquared
Stage II

I bought the Ultra. I had a hard time deciding also. But I realized its less expensive to undress the Ultra than dress up the Standard.

Quick Reply: What to do?