Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLTRX VENTED Lowers?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
FUZZY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by FUZZY
I like those!
I love em & I'm not certain I want to lose them for the lowers, they really are sharp!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:26 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigDaddyMike
In the NEW 2010 P&A Catalog it shows (online) VENTED LOWERS for the 2010 FLTRX (Road Glide Custom) Perhaps the moving of the fairing .008 of an inch and angling it was to allow these to fit? I wonder if the 2010 FAIRING BRACKETS can be retro-fitted to my 09 thus making way for HD Vented Lowers?

2010 Road Glide® Custom > Color Shop
Color-Matched Vented Fairing Lower Kit

Control the air-flow to your lower legs for maximum riding comfort. These Color-Matched Fairing Lowers feature a venting system that allows you to adjust the amount of air that circulates across the engine. On hot days, open the vent to direct additional cooling air and on cold or rainy days, close the vents for maximum protection from the elements. The ratcheting friction lock pivot allows you to easily set the position. The complete kit includes left and right Fairing Lower, convenient glove box and lid, and all necessary mounting hardware. Glove Box Doors are sold separately. NOTE: Fairing lower kits are painted in a single color and do not feature pinstriping. Fits '83-later Touring and Trike models (except '98-'09 FLTR). Stock on FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLHTCUTG. '10 FLHXSE and FLHXXX models require the installation of Engine Guard P/N 49066-09 or 49050-09, Screw P/N 4924 (2), Washer P/N 6702 (1), Screw P/N 2708A (1). Will not fit with Mustache Engine Guards.

Anybody?
Just for chits & giggles, I emailed my service department....here is the reponse I received:

"Raising and modifying how the fairing was installed from the factory may lead to warranty issues. So while the bike is under factory warranty we cannot perform a modification like that.

The 2010 frame had some additional changes to it from the 09s. The labor to do this change if it were that simple would be quite involved due to that bracket requiring the removal of pretty much the entire front end."

Nice huh?!?!?!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Yea. BTW I like that painted inner too!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Yes, I can read. I do have a catalog as well. I also looked @ '07 lowers on a friends ultra & top caps looked a little long to clear fairing brace. I have no problem ordering the ones from catalog for fitment, as they could be universal for prior year ultras & '10 RG since making top caps shorter would not effect ultras. The same may not have been true for prior year ultra fitting '10 RG. If I'm going to spend my $ on used lowers I wanted first hand knowledge of fitment. Kinda funny about stuff like that down here in the Great State Of Texas.
Well I installed my "new" vented lowers. Guess what? The top caps are different than prior year models. They are shorter as suspected. So are stock ultra '09 & 10's. So if you install say '07 lowers on you 10 RGC you will have to cut tabs on top cap or get new ones.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I installed my "new" vented lowers. Guess what? The top caps are different than prior year models. They are shorter as suspected. So are stock ultra '09 & 10's. So if you install say '07 lowers on you 10 RGC you will have to cut tabs on top cap or get new ones.

That can't be. When you order the vented lowers you order by color, not by year. How can you differentiate between years??? Part number for all vented lowers is 58854 followed by the paint color and year. If there was a change to the caps or whatever there would be a revised pat number or a whole new part number all together.

So if you wanted to order vented lowers for your brand spankin' new 2010 Vivid Black Road Glide you would order part number 58854-05DH. As you see that is an 05 in that part number. How does anyone know if you are ordering them for a '10 Road Glide, a 08 Street Glide, or a 05 Road King??

No change in the lowers. It is all in the fairing mounts.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Originally Posted by Garemlin
That can't be. When you order the vented lowers you order by color, not by year. How can you differentiate between years??? Part number for all vented lowers is 58854 followed by the paint color and year. If there was a change to the caps or whatever there would be a revised pat number or a whole new part number all together.

So if you wanted to order vented lowers for your brand spankin' new 2010 Vivid Black Road Glide you would order part number 58854-05DH. As you see that is an 05 in that part number. How does anyone know if you are ordering them for a '10 Road Glide, a 08 Street Glide, or a 05 Road King??

No change in the lowers. It is all in the fairing mounts.
Go look @ 2010 Ultra lowers. Then look @ 2007. You will see the difference. The ones you order now will fit any year as they have shorter tabs on caps. Don't say until you look. I already have.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Go look @ 2010 Ultra lowers. Then look @ 2007. You will see the difference. The ones you order now will fit any year as they have shorter tabs on caps. Don't say until you look. I already have.

That makes absolutely no sense. With what you are saying if I had a 2008 Ultra and had to order one lower because of damage, the one I would get would be different than the good one still on the bike. I don't see how they could do that. HD does not make any changes to parts w/o having a revision or change in the part number. In fact I just went and looked at an old 2008 P&A book and the part number for all of the vented lowers is the same as it is in the 2010 P&A book. If they changed a part and didn't let customers know that there was a difference, there would be some severely pissed off people.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Originally Posted by Garemlin
That makes absolutely no sense. With what you are saying if I had a 2008 Ultra and had to order one lower because of damage, the one I would get would be different than the good one still on the bike. I don't see how they could do that. HD does not make any changes to parts w/o having a revision or change in the part number. In fact I just went and looked at an old 2008 P&A book and the part number for all of the vented lowers is the same as it is in the 2010 P&A book. If they changed a part and didn't let customers know that there was a difference, there would be some severely pissed off people.
I don't know if the changed in'08 or '09. But I can tell you '07 is longer. Go check '07 or prior year. Then go to the dealer & look @ a new one. Like I said, don't say until you look. I didn't see how the new ones were going to fit after measuring '07. Guess what? They did & they are shorter.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 PM
FUZZY
Tourer

Oh & by the way. If you were to order 1 Lower it would be a completely different part #. So yes it would match.

Quick Reply: 2010 FLTRX VENTED Lowers?????