Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line check valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009 | 08:19 PM
Ichabob
|
6th Gear
Default Fuel line check valve

I have an 06 FLHXI and today it started to act up. A couple of times the engine just quit. She cranked fine, so electrical was ruled out. After fumbling around for I while I got it going by pushing up on the fuel line just as it comes out of the tank. It sounded like air was escaping and it fired right up. It quit a few more time but would fire right back up if I pushed up on the fuel line. Has anybody had problems with the fuel check valve coming out of the tank? I'm not sure if this is the problem or not?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009 | 12:26 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Start it up and then place a lit match near the check valve. If you hear/feel a KA-BOOM then you know that was the problem. If not, go buy a Lotto ticket.

Old 08-04-2009 | 01:16 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I think the tube on that is plastic and can be easily damaged causing a slight leak resulting in loss of fuel pressure. Installing a new one should not be too costly.

Old 08-04-2009 | 06:47 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I have a 00EGC and this past winter went into my tank to change the filter and the plastic lines, it was very easy to get in and access the guts of the tank.

Old 08-04-2009 | 06:57 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ichabob
I have an 06 FLHXI and today it started to act up. A couple of times the engine just quit. She cranked fine, so electrical was ruled out. After fumbling around for I while I got it going by pushing up on the fuel line just as it comes out of the tank. It sounded like air was escaping and it fired right up. It quit a few more time but would fire right back up if I pushed up on the fuel line. Has anybody had problems with the fuel check valve coming out of the tank? I'm not sure if this is the problem or not?

Thanks

There were some issues on the fuel line disconnects on a couple models where there was enuff pressure from the lower fitting and line going to the injection that it wore the ***** or the groove where the ***** sit when the line is locked in. Then what happened is the lower line dropped enuff to close the pistons in the upper and lower parts of the disconnect and no fuel can flow. The only other thing that could lead to this problem is just a manufacturing defect that leaves the piston in the upper part too short off the screw machine and thus a little wear from vibration again lets the bottom drop closing the fuel path. I have a lot of experience with these parts .. I used to work where they were made and build a couple machines to assemble and test them.. Pm me . I can possibly help.

Old 08-04-2009 | 07:02 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

tHAT FUEL LINE IS $45.00 don't ask me how i found out....

Old 08-04-2009 | 07:11 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

From what this guy is describing im betting on a worn or defective fitting..

Old 08-04-2009 | 07:31 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine was replaced on my '07 Ultra 2 weeks ago. Dead in the water until we figured it out. Took 2 years to show itself, but it was a defective coupler, probably left the factory that way.

Old 08-04-2009 | 07:37 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by n8dc
There were some issues on the fuel line disconnects on a couple models where there was enuff pressure from the lower fitting and line going to the injection that it wore the ***** or the groove where the ***** sit when the line is locked in. Then what happened is the lower line dropped enuff to close the pistons in the upper and lower parts of the disconnect and no fuel can flow. The only other thing that could lead to this problem is just a manufacturing defect that leaves the piston in the upper part too short off the screw machine and thus a little wear from vibration again lets the bottom drop closing the fuel path. I have a lot of experience with these parts .. I used to work where they were made and build a couple machines to assemble and test them.. Pm me . I can possibly help.

This may be what happened to mine. It looked like the line was still connected but it would pull free with a downward tug (without pushing the locking collar up).

Old 08-04-2009 | 07:41 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stro1965
Mine was replaced on my '07 Ultra 2 weeks ago. Dead in the water until we figured it out. Took 2 years to show itself, but it was a defective coupler, probably left the factory that way.
Well if you saw the way they are tested you you might think different on that.. We tested for piston height along with a vision system on the chrome parts while testing for leaks before shipping.. We also tested the same way although no vision system while assembling the lower black part. The chrome part is hand assembled.. Then after testing my wife checked some again (she works in QC) before shipping.. But stuff does happen.. Its interesting from the stand point that the parts were also tested at Delphi where they were shipped to (Mexico) before they made it to Harley and they wanted everything 100% reject free?.. Tell harley to make all the bikes 100% ... It would be cool to have had those parts to look at and I wonder if H/D asked for them back and returned them to Dexter Michigan for evaluation. Usually this was the case but not all the time..

Quick Reply: Fuel line check valve